16 - Goodbyes

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man." Caspian told the crowd, and he paced while he walked in front of them. It was his first proper speech as king, and he was nervous. But he looked over, and Willow shot him a smile, and he returned it, already feeling better.
"Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."

"It's been generations since we left Telmar!" Someone shouted from the crowd, but Aslan cut in.

"We're not referring to Telmar. You're ancestors were seafaring brigands, pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens."

Willow looked over in surprise at the four children, and they looked at each other.

Aslan continued, clearly unfazed. "It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

A ripple of murmurs echoed across the crowd, until one voice spoke up.

"I will go. I will accept the offer." It was one of the Telmarines who had fought at Miraz's right hand, and Willow was... surprised to say the least.

Caspian bowed to the man, who bowed in return.

"So will we." A woman holding a baby stepped forwards, and Willow recognised her as Caspian's aunt, and apparently new nephew.

Aslan spoke again. "Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good." Aslan blew gently on their faces, and a tree opened up, revealing a gap between the trunk. Willow guessed that was how they were going to return.

And she was right.

The minute the pair stepped through the trunk, they disappeared. Cries went through the crowd at their disappearance.

"Where did they go?"

"They killed them!"

"How do we know he is not leading us to our death?"

Reepicheep offered to take mice through, but Aslan turned to the eldest Pevensie children. Susan and Peter looked at each other, and back at Aslan.

Peter stepped forward. "We'll go."

"We will?" Edmund looked as surprised as Willow felt.

"Come on, our time's up." He walked over to Caspian. "After all, we're not really needed here anymore." He handed his sword to Caspian, who was shocked, but still accepted.

"I will look after it until you return." He promised, and Peter smiled.

"I'm afraid that's just it." Susan spoke up, and Willow turned to her. "We're not coming back."

Lucy looked solemn. "We're not?"

Willow looked equally upset. "You're not?"

"You two are." Peter told Lucy and Edmund, and Susan nodded. "At least, I think he means you two." He added, with a look at Aslan.

Lucy turned to the lion. "But why? Did they do something wrong?"

"Quite the opposite, dear one. But all things have their time. Your brother and sister have learned what they can from this world. Now it's time for them to live in their own."

"It's alright, Lu." Peter walked over to his sister. "It's not how I thought it would be, but it's all right. One day you'll see too. Come on."

They headed over to the tree, but Susan paused.

"Actually, there's one more thing I'd like to see." She said, and gave an excited smile to Caspian, who started and seemed to remember something.

"Oh, right. Willow?"

"Yes?" She said, confused, and he beckoned her over. She obliged, and Lucy glanced at Susan, excited. Peter and Edmund looked just as confused as Willow was.

"Caspian, what are you-"

He cut her off with a smile. "Willow, I know you don't feel worthy because you don't have a past, or know much about yourself. But I don't care about that. And I know we only met a while ago, and we're still young, but I really feel like I've known you for years. So...will you, uh.."

"Spit it out!" Lucy interrupted, and Susan swiftly elbowed her.

"Willow, will you marry me and rule as my queen?" He pulled out a ring, and the crowd gasped.

Willow felt slightly faint, but still ecstatic. "Oh. Oh."

Caspian looked at her, panicked, and stumbled over his words. "If you don't want to marry, then it's okay -well, not really- but Willow I-"
She silenced him with a kiss, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him close, and his arms snaked around her waist. Susan, Peter, and Lucy all grinned, and Edmund looked slightly confused but smiled all the same. Lucy tugged on Susan's sleeve.

"I'll understand when I'm older, right?" She laughed quietly, and Susan did too.

"I'm older, and I don't think I want to understand." Edmund chuckled, and Peter playfully shoved him.

Willow pulled back, and kept one arm firmly around Caspian's neck, and his hands stayed around her waist.

He smirked. "Is that a yes?"

"Yes!" She cried, and he stepped back, quickly slid the ring onto her finger, and pulled her in for another kiss. He hugged her tight after, and the crowd cheered.

Flower crowns weaved themselves onto their heads, and Caspian grinned widely as his appeared. He kissed her cheek, and they turned, hand in hand, towards the Kings and Queens of Old.

"Thank you for everything." Caspian said, and they nodded at him, and bowed.

Willow rushed forward and hugged Lucy, and the small girl hugged her back. She pulled back, and hugged Susan too, who, afterwards, held her hand and admired the ring, smiling and laughing with Willow.

Then Willow stepped back, and Caspian's arm returned around her waist.
"Goodbye." She smiled, and she opened her palm. A flurry of blossoms erupted from it, and rained down on the four. Once they had landed, though, a single white rose floated down in Lucy's hand, and she held it tightly.

"We'll meet again, I'm sure."

And with that, the Kings and Queens of Old entered the tree, and disappeared back to the other world.

But they would return soon enough.