Chapter 13

A significant number of audience members applauded, as if someone had just announced the arrival of their idol. As the overhead manual lighting caught his face, a tall black haired young man strode towards centre stage. The clapping slowed to silence and the man quietly prepared a speech. He had walked on without acknowledging the entire crowd, until now, before he had only been looking straight ahead. The man was here in place of his predecessor, his father: Professor Membrane. Dib began talking, his voice was clearly not booming like his fathers. Instead, Dib announced his latest product in a monotone fashion, as if the abandonment of his sole purpose of paranormal investigating had drained him of any childish excitement. Dib was in his early twenty's now, he was rich though remained living in his childhood home, he had completely dropped the idea of the paranormal, perhaps even refusing to believe in such nonsense anymore. All since that day, when that stupid alien left the planet. After his new product presentation, the place wrapped up for the night.

Dib could've gotten a taxi home, but he decided the train might be interesting tonight. He uncomfortably sat one leg over the other to avoid complaints from people either side, he wasn't in the mood to pass time on his phone or listen to any particular music. A couple stops in and Dib noticed a familiar looking person from the back. Before he could stop himself he had made his way toward them, and with one hand on an overhead handle, he took the other and tapped the the stranger in the shoulder. They turned to acknowledge him but... he wasn't Zim. It seemed Dib had really gone over there because he thought he saw Zim on the seat. He quickly apologised saying he had the wrong person and proceeded to sit back down. He was especially unhappy tonight, and he couldn't tell why either. He just didn't have the motivation to do much more than was necessary. Seeing things, hints perhaps. Everything related to Zim's absence and alien race, surrounded him supposedly, coincidentally.

The walk home accommodated Dib with misley, dreary weather, he succumbed to the cold and continued to walk. He entered his house, then room, and while searching through some sock or other he noticed notes passed between him and Zim during lessons. Silly things like, 'you stink' and vice versa.
Before he knew it, Dib had dragged himself to the garage and unveiled Taks ship.
"I hate it here." Dib admitted.
"What if I go there?" He wondered again tracing his finger about the ship. It seemed as if a sudden streak of excitement had reformed rapidly inside of him. He wanted to see aliens again, he wanted to see Zim again. Dib never got the chance to properly apologise.
He gathered his thoughts fairly quickly and rushed to the basement. There were already several human sized tubes lined up at one wall, all he had to do was fix the flow chart and write the code. He had done this before. Or atleast, tried to. After a couple of bad attempts he seemed that this time would work. He stepped into the empty tube, he woke up in another. It worked! The liquid in the tube drained, revealing a pair of Irken three-fingers hands. He had done it, Dib had bioengineered himself as an irken. Now he would go to Irk and he would see Zim again, but not for long, it seemed his code had some defects...