Chapter 1

Oddly, Dib Membrane, a boy who receives daily torment for his obsession with paranormal activity and general nerdiness', flops forward pathetically on his desk and turns his attention toward his 'nemesis', Zim. The other students are blissfully unaware that Zim is, in fact, an alien, it's blatantly obvious. No nose, ears, nor the correct amount of fingers or toes, he's green for crying out loud! Yet in their silly ignorant state, the entire human population prefers to believe, as Zim himself describes it, that it is simply a 'skin condition' and nothing more. Dib has done extensive research to prove his theory. His conclusion? It's not a skin condition. He is most definitely an alien. The attention belonging to Zim, is given to the direction of their horrible teacher, Ms Bitters. Dib observes as the alien takes in the futile information with a neutral face, like that of concentration, but lessened so he blends in with the other kids a little more, and stands out to no one. He's masked by a simplistic disguise: contacts and a jet black wig with a remarkable ahoge that almost outranked Dibs. The Invader uniform is appears to be worn at all times, it looks like an awkward futuristic dress, though none would question it. Nobody cares.

For about 3 years since Zims arrival on Earth, Dib has been endlessly trying to expose him as an alien. Wether this be attempting to snatch his wig or proving the Invader can burn in a water fight, he has always failed to succeed. Recently, due to dibs miserable efforts to expose Zim he has decided to accept his fate as a nobody, and finally, after all the effort and evidence and real footage, has he stopped bothering Zim. Nowadays Dib still monitors him but barely interacts with the alien. Let alone 'expose' him. Despite his well crafted contacts, Zims ruby red eyes shone through with a lucky shaft of light that escaped the clouds. Dib, still laying pathetically on his desk, caught himself staring in admiration. Only when the clouds cut off the suns only means of escape did Dib realise his embarrassing mistake. He turned his head away from the alien and now seemed to be facing the window on his side of the room. Pitter, patter, pitter patter.... went the first signs of a terrible thunderstorm on the classroom windows. The rain turned from a light shower to unnoticeable heavy rain within seconds, leaving Dib to congratulate himself mentally for checking the weather that morning, and packing a trusty umbrella.
"Dib? Sit up!" Bellowed the old hag of a teacher. Immediately sitting up, Dib took one look at the whiteboard and it didn't take long to decide that what a tribe in Africa were eating for their breakfast has nothing to do with anything, which inevitably turned Dibs focus subconsciously to meet Zims face. The alien looked fidgety, and glances out at the rain for a brief moment before ultimately looking back at his hands noting that he was indeed scared. Dib had almost forgotten Zims general reaction to water, he would burn, it wasn't unbearable burning, just enough that you really wouldn't want to be in it under most circumstances. The boy wonders how the alien, who obviously hasn't got a plan for the current weather situation, would get home. I ponders one that question, until selfishly coming to the conclusion that he simply didn't care.

The sharp, ear- splitting ring of the bell denoted that school had ended for the day. Kids piled through the corridors shoving and kicking, ignoring what was going to be the teachers dismiss of the class in order to get home. Unfortunately for Dib, he missed Zim leave with the crowd, he was genuinely curious as to how Zim would handle the current weather situation. Dib jaunted down the corridor and decided to visit his sister, Gaz, he remembered what class she has on this particular day.
"You lookin' for Gaz?" Some irrelevant person asked, taking a sip from their juice box eyeballing the boy.
"Y-yeah" he stammered. Stammering was an issue he seemed to have developed, along with anxiety and similar such common teenage issues that occur.
"She's gone already." They replied, the obnoxious cacophony of slurping the last contents of the juice box relayed Dibs mind before they disposed of the carton respectfully, and left soon after. He'd walk home, alone in the rain.

Upon leaving the front doors of the school, Dib spotted Zim sitting silently on the steps, sheltered by the overhanging concrete. Dib rummaged impatiently in his back back for his umbrella while wondering wether or not to help the defenceless alien. Dib put the umbrella up as silently as possible, he was aware that Zim knew someone was behind him, rummaging through your bag makes noise, regardless, he felt as if things should be done quietly. Bag back on back and umbrella In hand. He sets off home, only to find that after a single step he stops himself, and something in his kind nature is whispering to him that Zim should be helped in his situation regardless if he's an alien set to destroy Earth. Dib supposes there's nothing to loose.
He crouched down beside the smaller boy and faked a caring smile, he was aware that Zim had acknowledged that was Dib now resided beside him. Despite Zims sudden change in expression, Dibs smile fails to fade as he eventually asks,
"Can you get home in the rain?"
There is a pause, and even though Dib has a touching smile directed at the likes of Zim, tension arises.
"Of course," Zim replies curtly, sounding still as much like Zim as usual but with less exaggeration.
"I don't need your help, Dib-worm!" He exclaims. In response, Dib chuckles in a lighthearted manner before bringing himself to his feet.
"Bye then." And with that he leaves.
"W-Wait!" Zim shouts. Dib turns to the alien and patiently waits elaboration.
"Does that device protect you from the deadly Earth weather?" Zim inquires abruptly. Ignoring Zims incorrect assumption that the umbrella was a device rather than, simply, an umbrella, Dib smiles once again in preparation to reply:
"Yes. Do need it?"
"I-" before Zim can even begin to answer, Dib who is now walking back towards Zim, asks:
"You can't get home ,by yourself, in the rain, can you?" Zim stalls, then begins to stammer.
"I- uhhh..." zim genuinely seemed to be stammering and became completely flustered.
Dib held out his hand for Zim. Zim keeps his hands in his lap In refusal, the taller boy desides persuasion is the key.
"Look, we don't have to talk and we won't have to mention this to anyone, ok? I'll take you home and we can act like it never happened." Dibs proposal was taken with consideration by Zim. But eventually, with great reluctance, the alien took his hand and stood up.
"Why are you being nice to me?" Zim questioned in puzzlement. Dib wondered this to himself also, he hadn't the slightest clue. In fact he wasn't sure if he actually wanted to be nice to Zim. Glancing back at the rain briefly before making his decision, Dib turned to his former enemy.
"I guess if I were an alien who was... afraid of a little water? I think I wouldn't do just about anything not to get drenched. Which would include, maybe trusting your enemy on this one?" Dib remarked. It wasn't exactly a proper answer but for Zim it seemed it would suffice- since Dib was pulling him a tad closer and the alien had made no effort to stop him. The umbrella was adjusted to hopefully shelter the both of them, as they began their walk home.