Chapter 14

Dib rushed to a mirror, checking his new form for defects. It was functioning correctly, but he couldn't see properly. He shuffled through his discarded jacket for his glasses and put them on. His eyesight grew better, but not good enough for the glasses to suffice. Pondering, Dib quickly remembered something Zim had given him a couple years ago, he had kept it but had never really used it. attempting to go upstairs to find said gift, Dib struggled to walk. Despite having a humanoid form, there were too many alterations that made it Irken to function and move like a human, therefore he had to adapt as fast as possible. Dib managed to get a hang of walking and found the old gift in his room upstairs. A pair of goggles from his drawer looked back at him and Dib put them on. Dib could see again, and his vision was even better than it was as a human. As he made his way back downstairs towards the basement, he realised he was getting tired. He developed a sort of dizziness with this too. Strange. Dib sat down to control it and suddenly remembered a very important detail. A pak. An Irken couldn't last more than 10 minutes without one. He scrambled over to a work table where he miserably failed at making one, he eventually made something temporary but suitable, that would keep him alive while he made a functioning pak.

A couple hours after going over some missing details in his new body, Dib decided to not use Taks ship. And instead, make an entirely new one by going through some items at a scrapyard to make a replica. There was no one  there so it wouldn't be too much of an issue for Dib in his alien form to be there. Upon searching and collecting, a precarious corrugated sheet tilted, pouring the puddle it has accumulated, onto him. But he didn't burn, not like Zim did.
"Ouch!" Dib shouted. A small electrical shock had occurred in his pak where the water had seeped through. It still appeared to work, it didn't require mending. Dib tried to carry on with collecting metal, until he noticed that his hands where human again, he immediately joined the dots and realised what had happened. Was the water the key to transform from and back again? From human to Irken and back again? Dib stood under the sheet bearing water again, and braced for the downpour. He didn't make an audible nouse this time but he still felt the slight pain. But it was worth it, because now he was Irken again. He'd have to remember to install some sort of water realated feature to activate the transformation again later. Dib headed home in his human form and commenced the build of the ship, adding the extra water feature to the pak so he could control and transform when necessary.

Finally, after many hours of building later. The ship replica was complete, and Dib was finally getting used to using his Irken form fluently. He had gathered all his items, but before Dib decided to leave he had one last nostalgic sit on his roof, looking at the stars. It wouldn't matter if he was going late, it was all a dark vacuum in space anyway. He sat on the tiles of the roof and pondered for a while. Was he stalling? Was he scared? If would be a relatively long trip, a couple of days really, he would have to stock up on rations and prepare for the worst too. What if he got lost out there? What if he dies? No, that wouldn't happen, he was overthinking it, he'd been in space plenty of times, he'd just need to go a bit further this time - all the way to Irk and the Armada...

Eventually Dib succumbed to leaving, he had called all his remaining family to tell them he'd be 'absent' for a while. Dib couldn't wait to meet Zim again, but he was so frightened of Zim's reaction. And how big is Irk anyway? How would he even find Zim. Well he is loud and kind of unnoticeable, sure he'll find Zim. Hopefully.