Chapter 47

Tired and emotionally spent Queen Isabel could only watch as the bear form of the King lunged towards her, his teeth biting at her face, air burst from his lungs in a surprised snort as he slammed into an invisible wall. Clawing at the Stones the Bear King tried to force his way out of his prison, knowing what was coming Isabel closed her eyes and turned away as the runes surrounding her husband glowed ominously, she heard him howl in agony as each rune sent a powerful bolt of lightning into his body.

The sound of a whimper filled the air as Samson thrashed uncontrollably on the floor his muscles twitching, fur smoking. Biting her lip until it bled Isabel struggled to keep from weeping, looking at all of the guards stationed around the room the Queen could not help but hate them. Each of the men stationed there wore a white tunic with the head of roaring bear embroidered on the front in black thread, their sole purpose was to try to fight and kill her husband if he broke free and if they failed, the General with his powerful weapon would not.

Hearing the only door in the chamber open, Isabel looked back to her love as she felt her heart skip a beat and fear twist her stomach into knots. Worried it was the General walking up to stand beside her she cleared her throat, but kept her eyes on the Bear King hoping for any sign that he might come back to her. "Has there been any sign of him?" She asked.

Relief washed over the Queen as the sound of Grimbore's voice filled the air; sadly, he shook his head. "No my Lady, the palace guards searched every inch of the castle thoroughly, he's been missing for ten days and they've found nothing," The Dwarf was not particularly happy to deliver even more bad news. "We've even combed the city and the countryside looking for him and the giant and his small companion, we traveled as far as hangman's fork, it would seem that all three have disappeared without a trace, I think some type of magic came into play here."

Feeling as if the world was coming down around her, Queen Isabel fought against it, knowing there was nothing she could to do to stop it. A slight nudge on her arm pulled her away from her thoughts, she looked down at Grimbore who offered her a gentle smile and a handkerchief, suddenly noticing the tears running down her cheeks she graciously accepted it and wiped her eyes. "What of my other son's?"

They both stood looking at the Bear King who huffed and grunted his way around his small invisible prison, he lunged or snarled at anyone who came to close, Grimbore folded his arms across his chest and sighed. "Them two rascals, the twins, seem to be doing ok, they spend a lot of time going back and forth to the training field. I think the appearance of the Elf and that even larger Giant the other night shook'em up pretty good, and Lee bless his heart has been trying to coax Dove out o' her room where she's been holed up since Oliver was stabbed."

Mentally the Queen berated herself, she had completely forgotten about her goddaughter and the stress the young woman must have been going through, mouthing the words, "I love you," to her growling husband, she handed the handkerchief back to Grimbore. "Would you keep Samson company for a while, I'll be back after I check on Vivian."

"Of course I'll keep him company I love'im like he was me own granchild," Reaching into one of the pockets on his vest Grimbore pulled out a large flask. "I'd sit here with'im until the whole bloody mountain above us comes crumblin down."

Isabel couldn't help but smile, the dwarf despite his dirty smelly unrefined exterior had a heart of gold and the ability to make anyone smile no matter how bad they felt. Giving one last look to her husband the Queen started towards the door, her mood having improved she was ready to try to cheer up those around her.

Grabbing the handle on the door leading out of the chamber she pulled it open and froze, the General stood looking down at her, the only man who terrified her, the mace he carried rested in the palm of his hand. "I only came to see how the King is doing?" His eyes were not cold or hateful, but to say the General was someone with feelings would certainly be foolish.