Chapter 11

Oliver sat at the table of Lieutenant Don, food piled high in front of him, amazingly, Oliver, had lost much of his appetite. Lee sat to his right, Lieutenant Don to his left at the head of the table, and across from him sat a young woman of seventeen years.

Big doe eyes watched Oliver intently, rosy red lips parted in a smile as Oliver fidgeted nervously, long brown hair fell to the small of her back in a braid. Oliver continued to sneak glances at Dove his feelings in complete disorder her beauty entranced him, but the memories of her from his childhood made him wary.

Throughout dinner, Oliver spoke little, to everyone's surprise ate even less, Lee, and Dove spoke the most, they had been good friends growing up. Don sat back content to eat and observe, the hours passed, Lee and Dove were able to draw Oliver out of his shell somewhat getting him to speak more openly. Finally, to Oliver's relief the night was drawing to a close, standing quickly he bid everyone a goodnight but before he could leave Dove's voice stopped him. "Prince Oliver, it's a beautiful night would you join me for a walk?"

Knowing it would be rude and insulting to refuse, Oliver, realizing he was trapped, opened the door and bowed. "After you, my Lady." Dove smiled sweetly and swept past him.

 Oliver glanced at Lee who smiled. "Go get her tiger, got her right where you want her, but remember playing with fire can and will get you burned."

Oliver slammed the door behind him leaving Lee and Lieutenant Don behind, Laughing at the joke Lee walked over and opened the door, or at least he tried to, confused he looked down at the door knob that lay in his palm, turning he looked to Don who could only shrug.

Patting the pocket of his trousers Oliver felt the broken doorknob shift in his pocket as he walked, his long strides quickly caught up to Dove who held a torch in one hand above her head. Quickly and carefully Oliver snatched the burning branch away, Dove raised an eyebrow at the Prince but didn't say anything as they continued walking.

Long minutes passed silently between them, not really wanting or knowing what to say, but knowing it would be better than complete and utter silence Oliver cleared his throat. "So, how were things down in the southern cities?" He saw Dove's face light up out of the corner his eye as his words reached her ears.

"It was absolutely dreadful, all those really prim and proper people were quite boring what with all their banquets and dances, and it was very hot most of the time it made sightseeing horrendous."

Oliver looked at her in surprise. "Really I haven't been down there since we were very little so I don't remember much about them." He had always heard from traders, merchants, and travelers that the cities down near their southern borders were quite often the envy of other countries and kingdoms. Many often said they'd hear about how the nobles and kings from other lands often stated that Oliver's father was crazy to remain up in the north where the land was harsh and the cold could be downright deadly.

Shaking her head Dove giggled. "It was amazing, I just wanted to see if you had been paying attention when Lee and I were talking earlier." Running a hand through his hair Oliver apologized but Dove cut him short her head tilted back as she looked up at the night sky. "The only thing I didn't like was even when you were miles away the cities glow would light up the sky and hid the stars from view."

Moving quickly Dove brushed passed Oliver and headed for the stairs leading up to the rampart, Oliver not really wanting to join her watched as she climbed the first few steps, looking back Dove gestured to Oliver "Well come on!"

Knowing she was going to climb the steps whether he did or not Oliver sighed, all he really wanted to do was walk Dove to her room and make his way back to his to turn in for the night, trying to perturb her Oliver said. "I really don't think we should go up there, after all bandits have been sighted in the surrounding area."