Chapter 6

The news about Joseph spread like wildfire; men came pouring into the city barracks volunteering for the party that would go out looking for the murderers of Joseph and his men. Oliver and Lee hung out at one of the tables in the barracks watching as men poured in offering their services. Neither spoke as they too wanted to join in and volunteer but they were not yet of the legal age.

Lee rolled his eyes as he listened to Oliver grumble about not being eighteen for the hundredth time, he understood how his brother felt but he grew tired of hearing about it. He was just about to suggest that they leave and go do something productive when Scott and Robert walked in speaking with the man in charge of the barracks.

Nudging Oliver, Lee pointed to their siblings trading confused looks with Oliver, the duo rose from the table, pushing their way through the crowd of volunteers they came to stand beside the twins. Oliver shouted above the noise. "What are you guys doing here?"

Scott nudged Robert and turned to speak with several men about a map that he held in his hands. A mile wide smile spread across Roberts face as he rubbed his fingers through his hair. "Scott and I" Robert pointed to Scott and himself. "Get to lead the party that is going on the hunt for those who killed Joseph."

Oliver's jaw dropped as the words registered, Robert watched the scowl spread across his young brother's face, his only response a sheepish grin. Lee just accepted the news there was nothing he could do about it and getting upset over it would do no one any good.

Robert placed his hand on Oliver's shoulder trying to soothe him, but Oliver spun and walked away, he left the barracks and headed directly for the castle. Everyone who saw the look on the young prince's face was quick to move out of his way. The guards at the castle gates even stepped back at the young man's approach.

The resounding crash of the great hall doors as they slammed open silenced everyone as they turned to stare as Oliver came storming in. Samson took a deep breath to steady himself as he felt his own temper beginning to rise, he dismissed his council members urging them to wait for him in the council chamber.

Never breaking stride Oliver came to stand before his father, looking up at the older version of himself the young prince took a moment to reign in his anger so that he was not yelling when he spoke. "Scott and Robert get to go?"

Samson ran his fingers through his beard. "They are of age and capable of leading troops into battle. The scum that did this to Joseph and his squad need ground to dust, you think it unfair?"

Oliver glared at his father his hands opening and closing. "So while they get to go out and kill our enemies I have to sit here and twiddle my thumbs like a child."

Wracked by rage Samson spun and wrapped his hands around an oak table and with a great heave, he lifted it above his head and sent it flying across the great hall to smash into pieces against the wall. Samson his anger far from spent spun on Oliver causing him to take a step back. "Tell me my son have you ever killed a man, have you ever thrust your weapon into a man's body knowing that your own hands brought about his demise."

Oliver could not find his voice to answer, it would not have mattered if he had, The Bear King continued his rant glaring down at the young man before him. "Have you ever watched a friend close to you die knowing that there was nothing you could do for him, or even worse have you ever had to kill one of your own men.

All Oliver could do was shake his head, his eyes glued to the dried blood staining his father's shirt, he watched his father as tears gathered in the corners of the giant man's eyes, the Kings voice dropped to a whisper but was still loud enough to hear as he looked down at his own hands. "To have to kill him because, he was being compelled by a spell to kill you, his own king. To have to hold this man in your arms as you drive the knife into his heart knowing that he wanted to live but because he wanted to protect you from himself, he pleaded and begged you to do it, to have to hold him while you did it wishing you could be anywhere else."