Chapter 3

Ducking low Oliver dodged the spear tip aimed for his face, although all the practice weapons were blunt for safety purposes a misplaced swing or careless step could lead to blinding's, broken bones and even death.

Growling low in his throat Oliver raised his practice sword. "Attacking places above the chest during duels is forbidden."

The spear wielder snickered; twirling his weapon, he pressed the attack. "In a real battle there are no rules it's either fight or die, the son of the King should know this and be willing to fight accordingly."

Oliver snarled. "The point of training is to learn discipline, honor, your strengths, weaknesses, and above all else self-restraint, but if you want to take things up a notch then fine!" Oliver raised his sword and charged.

Sweeping his spear back and forth the spear wielder tried to keep Oliver at a distance, ready to fight Oliver was having none of it, he dodged several spear thrusts and rushed forward past his enemies guard.

Realizing that his opponent was faster than he looked the spear wielder tried to jump back yanking his spear with him, but it was too late. Oliver caught his enemy under the chin with his forearm clothes lining him, Oliver's momentum sent the boy somersaulting to land heavily on his back.

Oliver's sword tip plunged into the dirt beside the spear wielders head nicking his ear, Oliver leaned down over him his eyes angry. "I hope you show restraint one day for someone like I've just showed you, just because you can take their life doesn't always mean you should. If that has little to no effect on how you view things then here is a little something to think about... One day I will be in command of my father's armies, I will not allow men under my command to kill and slaughter as they see fit, we fight in self-defense to protect ourselves and our people remember that because you won't like the consequences if you forget." Reaching down Oliver grabbed his fellow student by the arm and yanked him to his feet. "You might want to go and have that ear looked at, you wouldn't want to lose it because of an infection."

Humbled the student took a clean cloth that Oliver offered him and headed for the infirmary, Oliver picked up the spear where it had fallen and pulled his practice sword out of the dirt. Stepping onto the field the weapons master nodded to Oliver for his successful win and then picked two more students for another duel.

Moving to the side of the field Oliver waited patiently for another turn, unbuckling his sword from his back he went to the weapon rack and leaned the weapon against the frame, inspecting the row of weapons before him he occasionally picked one up testing it. He tested a one handed sword, war hammer, duel axes, even a pike, shaking his head he moved back to the sword, this time picking up a shield to go with it, mastering different weapons was encouraged.

He waited with the other students, watching several duels, each of the young fighters worked with the weapon best suited for them. The current bout, to young boys no older than thirteen dueled with staves, it ended when one of the boys jabbed his rival in the stomach knocking the air from his lungs and then smacking him hard across the back breaking his weapon. Three more duels were issued until finally the weapon master ordered one more to end the day.

Oliver let his breath out in an excited blast when his name was called, his opponent a boy his own age named Garth came onto the field he carried a sword and shield, his face grim and angry. Close to Oliver's own height and weight he carried himself proudly, Oliver remembered a time when he must have been just like Garth, with only one exception, Garth was nobility, Oliver royalty, he could only guess that he must have been worse, that is until his father the bear king straightened him out. "You're going to pay for what you did to my brother Oliver; he won't be the only one leaving here bloodied." Ignoring his opponent Oliver lifted his shield and readied his sword, taunting him the boy continued. "What's the matter you didn't seem to have a problem with talking down to him, is it because you're scared of me, you have a big mouth when you're beating someone smaller than you."

Moving closer Oliver waited until he was only feet away before he charged; slapping Garth's sword and shield out wide, Oliver kicked him in the stomach knocking him flat on his back and driving the air from the boy's lungs. "Shut up and fight!" The prince said as he moved away waiting for Garth to find his feet.

Grunting with pain Garth came to his feet and snarled, rushing for Oliver who waited until the last second and stepped to the side slapping Garth on the rump with the flat of his sword as he charged past. Not caught completely off guard Garth snapped his sword back behind him almost scoring a hit on Oliver's shoulder.

Spinning to dodge a sword thrust Oliver swung his shield around trying to ram Garth in the chest, their shields collided with a loud crash, Garth's sword came up over the rim of his shield aiming for Oliver's face.

Ducking Oliver felt the weapon graze his helmet, staying low his knees bent Oliver brought his own sword arm down between Garth's legs forcing the boy onto his toes with his weight leaning over Oliver's back, rising suddenly and lifting his arm into the air he sent Garth over his shoulders to land heavily in the dirt. "Kind of hard to make me bleed when you're looking at the sky from the ground" Oliver sneered.

Roaring Garth came to his feet and stalked back in swinging his sword wildly, using just his sword Oliver parried, several openings presented themselves but Oliver held back, letting Garth wear himself out. "Is blocking all you can do Prince, seems you should go and hide behind the Queens skirts, must be where you learned to fight." Everyone within earshot on the field went quiet; insulting the Queen could not be ignored.

Dropping his weapon and shield Oliver used his hand to catch Garth's sword by the blade his other hand shot out grabbing the front of Garth's chain mail. The gauntlet he wore protected his palm and fingers but the blow still hurt, knowing his opponent wouldn't let go of his weapon Oliver yanked Garth forward, a ringing sound filled the air and Oliver's ears as his helmet smashed into Garth's, three more times their heads collided.

Legs having gone weak Garth found himself kneeling in the middle of the field his own sword pressed to his neck, he heard Oliver ask "Do you yield?" When his response was not forth coming, he felt the tip of the blade dig into his flesh. "Do you yield!"

Nodding Garth lowered his head in shame, casting Garth's sword into the dirt Oliver went and retrieved his own sword and shield; ignoring the ringing in his ears, he was happy he had decided to put extra padding in his helmet.

No one noticed Samson, the Bear King, ruler of Thunder city. He stood back in the shadows of a building just watching, over seven feet tall and built as solid as the mountain from years of fighting and hard work, a black beard and blue eyes streaked with silver defined his handsome face.

Samson loved to come down and watch the young warriors fight and master new weapons, especially to see his son's own talents grow, he quickly ducked from sight as they were dismissed, having the rest of the day to themselves they were allowed to spend it as they saw fit. The weapons master gave a rare compliment to his young charges only stopping to give one young student a glare, he was not fond of people who spoke ill of the Royal Family.

King Samson headed back the way he had come, being King meant few respites but he knew there was nowhere else that he would rather be, living in the moment spending time with his wife, his son's, and looking after his people who would need his guidance during the tough times to come. He looked one last time at Oliver who was laughing with Lee, and the weapons master, a smile spreading across his face.