Chapter 18

Staring down the length of his blade for the hundredth time as he waited for the two combatants to finish their duel, Oliver let his breath out in a sigh, they had been resting for most of the morning and he answered as many questions as he was going too about his journey in the middle of the night. He was ready to move on, it had been three days since they passed hangman's fork and his temper had frayed more and more each day with the unknown fate of his brothers.

Lee advanced on Dove with a series of quick thrusts, Captain Anghus observed from a distance, every so often he called out to her with instructions. "Good dodge Miss Vivian very good, make sure you keep your feet under you and maintain your balance as you move."

Tired and sweating Dove lowered the short sword in her hand, her arms shook from exhaustion and her legs trembled threatening to buckle, her boots felt as though they weighed ten times what they should and the armor she wore wasn't much better.

Seeing that she was at the end of her strength, Lee sheathed his sword and offered her his hand. "I can see your getting much better, soon you'll be a right good swordsman," Dove leveled a glare at Lee. "I mean swordswoman," he quickly cleared his throat "I think that's enough for today don't you agree?"

To tired and thirsty to reply Dove gladly took Lee's hand as he helped her over to a small tree where she could rest and thankfully get off her aching feet.

Captain Anghus observed Oliver who constantly moved about, his agitation apparent "Your Highness maybe having a bout with someone will help to take the edge off, after all we were instructed to wait here and it's not helping that you're walking about like a caged bear cub."

Gritting his teeth Oliver didn't bother to reply, footsteps that shook the ground followed by a deep voice, captured everyone's attention. "Greetings young Prince, we meet once again." Startled by the giant's appearance no one moved.

Oliver was the first to recover quickly followed by several men their weapons drawn; holding up his hands Oliver cut off the men before they could intercept the giant who only smirked at the weapons pointed his way. "I say once more, greetings young Prince, I'm glad to see that you made it back to your men in one piece."

Issuing a warning glare at the men before him Oliver slowly turned around. "Greetings Stonehammer, my friend, it's good to see you again, looks like you finally found your axe."

Smiling like a child who had just received a great gift, Stonehammer pulled the immense weapon from his back for Oliver to admire, he unwrapped a long chain from around his chest that ended with a large ball covered in long sharp spikes. "That I did, this here weapon was created by our Master Smith three hundred years ago. The shaft of the axe is made from the trunk of a buloke tree and the axe head was forged in the very fires of my homeland in the heart of the burning mountain, the ball and chain attached to the opposite end is made of the same quality metal."

Oliver expected Rexseal to appear at any moment, but there was no sign of the little man, looking around Oliver squinted trying to catch a glimpse of Rexseal, guessing he was somewhere close by. "Where's your companion?"

Stonehammer shrugged his massive shoulders he had no idea. "He's probably off somewhere harassing someone causing some kind of mischief, never can tell with that one, I know, I grew up with him, he's gotten me into more trouble than I can remember and always manages to get himself out of it."

Walking up and nudging Oliver, Lee cleared his throat, realizing he was being rude Oliver called the Giant over to introduce him to everyone. "Stonehammer this is my brother Lee, Captain Anghus, Flo, and the sleeping heap over there under that tree is Dove, the woman we are escorting home."