No Point

Naomi Monroe

I'm still on cloud nine about Sebastien. Never in my life have I felt so comfortable and so sure about a man. This weekend was amazing, and I'm not just talking about the sex — although my body is sore in the best of ways and I practically feel like I'm glowing.

Even better, I still get to look at this man's face as I make some final edits on the interview that is scheduled to post on Thursday. Looking at him and thinking about his values as a person, it's still hard to believe that he actually likes me.

I finish the last bit of tweaks on the video and accompanying article to send to Katie and stretch my hands above my head right after hitting send. I then press my knuckles into my lower back to knead it as my mind fills with memories as to why I am sore in the first place. My lustful thoughts are interrupted by an uninvited, yet frequent visitor.

"Hi Mimi!" Nicolas greets.

"Hello, Nicolas," I reply with a friendly smile to hide my agitation.

"I've told you over and over that you can just call me Nick. I mean, I call you Mimi, so no need to be formal."

Internally, I groan at his statement. Yes, but I've told you not to call me that and we are not friends.

Maintaining my smile and nodding, I say nothing further, hoping he will go away soon.

"Anyway, I'm in late today because I had a wild ass weekend. I didn't even see my uncle before he left." Nicolas shakes his head with a smile. "He was probably busy getting some ass anyway."

I immediately choke up, but still attempt to maintain a cool demeanor. "What do you mean by that?"

"It might sound weird, but I've seen my uncle," Nicolas shrugs. "I know he pulls mad bitc— er... women, I mean."

"Oh, I see..." I feel a lump growing in my throat, but try to tell myself that Nicolas is just making assumptions, not really knowing what he's talking about.

"Yeah, he has this thing he does whenever he travels to a new town and gets a piece of the local ass. I wonder what his conquest might've been this time. Must've been one fun woman since he didn't even reach out to my dad while he was here last week. Or maybe multiple women, shit."

Local ass. Conquest. Multiple women. So this is something he does.

The heat rushes to my face and I feel my heart drop into my stomach. "Yeah, um... I don't think this is appropriate for us to be discussing, Nicolas."

"Oh, c'mon! I'm just giving you some, uh, what do people call it? Tea. About my uncle."

"Right... Well, speaking of him, I need to make some tweaks to this article and I should really focus on that." It's a lie considering I just sent the piece to Katie, but I need Nicolas to get away from me.

"You're such a hard worker, Mimi," he replies as he finally backs away from my desk. "Talk to you later!"

I swallow the lump that's grown in my throat and remind myself that there's no reason for me to feel emotional about this revelation — it's something I should've expected. It's something I did expect until Sebas— no. Mr. Laurent managed to change my mind and make me think he was truly interested in me for something beyond a fling. Whatever, no point in being sad about it now. He's across the country and probably has plenty going on as far as dating in California, there was no chance this would turn into anything bigger anyway.

I take a deep breath and return to my work, ignoring the emotions I feel building up from the pit of my stomach all the way up to my chest. I remind myself that getting upset won't accomplish anything and now that I've finished all my edits and my article related to his interview, I can just try to forget about my week with Mr. Laurent.