Rules

Naomi Monroe

"We miss you, honey," my mom says from the other side of the phone. I just finished my second week here in San Francisco and it's the farthest I've ever been away from my family for this long. Even if there were times that I didn't see them often while I was just a couple hours away in Atlanta, knowing that they were much closer made it easier to cope.

"I miss you too. How is everyone?"

"Well, work is busy for me as usual and things are busy for your dad too. You know they don't give the public schools shit and he's often paying out of pocket for vital supplies for the students. And Miles is fine, he's just trying to decide which school he'll go to next fall. He's actually looking at an engineering program at a school out there in California."

My mom is a public defender and my dad is a math teacher at the same high school I went to growing up. So it's easy to say where my interest in community service came from. In fact, I'm multitasking right now, working out some bugs in my app and trying to pull in data for the San Francisco area given the houseless crisis here. My little brother isn't much different either. He has been obsessed with the idea of becoming an environmental engineer since learning about the climate crisis. I never pass up a chance to tell him that humanity is depending on him - no pressure or anything.

"What about you?" she asks. "How was your second week in San Francisco? We're still so proud of you! Out there expanding offices and things! It sounds like you're still busy with all that typing going on in the background. And on a Friday night at that?"

"Yeah, I'm actually working on some updates for my app and then I'm heading to bed."

"Always working! What about the weekend? Are you going to take some time to explore the area? You should try to at least take your weekends to do something fun."

"I will! I'm hoping to get out and do some exploring this weekend..."

"That's good. Be sure to keep checking in on us, will you?"

"Of course, mom. I love you and tell everyone else I love them too."

"Love you too honey."

After hanging up the phone, I take a deep breath and continue trying to keep myself busy. I can't seem to sleep because tomorrow is my movie marathon with Sebastien and I am excited. He's picking me up at noon and he already has a long list of films for us to watch until late into the night. Even with his whole 'no sex' rule, I genuinely enjoy spending time with the man.

But also... He is not getting away with those games he played on Monday. I've got something for him.

###

Sebastien Laurent

I spent all morning setting up and rearranging the living room for Naomi and I's movie night. And now I am finally nearing her hotel to pick her up. Honestly, having her alone with me for almost a full day may not have been the best choice given the whole 'no sex' rule that I set, but I'll just need to practice extra self-control. No problem. And while Naomi's presence alone is already tempting, I doubt she'd be bold enough to try me.

When she exits her building in sweatpants and a long jacket, I'm relieved that she didn't opt to wear leggings and instead chose looser clothes. Keeping to this rule will be a piece of cake. I get out of the car to greet her, take her bag to put in the back, and open the door.

"So, are you ready for our movie marathon?" I ask as I get into the car.

"Heck yeah," she chimes. "I think I've only ever seen like one or two movies on the list that you sent me, so I'm looking forward to seeing some new stuff."