Shock and Naw

I am curious: who did you think it was?

Thanks for reading! God Bless and Happy Reading!

"Benny?" she called, and sure enough, his head perked up at the sound. Surprise washed over his face, and then a smile larger than she had ever seen him wear, as she tore through the room and embraced him.

"Bethany? Wha-" he started, returning her hug in astonishment. "What are you doing in New York?"

She did not even spare a glance at Trenton, but he was the one who answered Benny.

"She's working with me," he growled, his eyes flickering between the two of them possessively.

Benny glanced at Trenton, then stared back at Bethany.

"You...left Hunter...to come back to New York?" He spoke slowly, as if trying to put the pieces together on his own. His eyes betrayed displeasure and a twinge of disapproval that made Bethany visibly wince.

"It wasn't exactly the plan..." she replied sheepishly, glancing around the hotel to avoid meeting Benny's eyes. "I just...didn't know where else to go, and Trenton called and offered me a job, so I took it." She bit her lip, finally looking up at him and seeing that he was scrunching his eyebrows together, the censure in his gaze deepening.

Benny merely made a noise in the back of his throat and turned back to Trenton.

"So, next week, you said? Are you sure you're going to need me so soon?"

"Yes. Reggie insists that the actors get ample time under the lights to rehearse their choreography and such. He is afraid they'll get disoriented after weeks of practice if we just throw the lights and sound effects on them so close to opening night."

Benny nodded his head as though what Trenton was saying made perfect sense. He scratched the back of his neck and said, "Sure, sure," though he did not sound sure at all.

"Wait," Bethany interrupted, just as Benny was about ask something else. "You're working...with Trenton?" Her heart clutched at the idea. It was wonderful to see Benny, but how could she possibly work with him again? He would be a constant reminder of Hunter, and that would be a major distraction! Not to mention that Benny could uncover her true reason for being here, and who knew what he would do with that information? He could tell Hunter, or the band, or even Amanda!

"Yeah, on Catch Me If You Can." He looked at her curiously, probably concerned for her mental health, as she was positive her face was an unhealthy white by now.

"What about," she cleared her throat, "Hunter?"

Trenton scowled.

Benny rolled his eyes and shifted uncomfortably.

"I got fired."

Her eyes widened. "What? Why? Why would they fire you?"

He shrugged, looking uncomfortable and refusing to meet her eyes. "I may have made a harsh comment to the leading man."

She blinked a few times, prodding him when he did not continue. "What kind of comment?"

He laughed shallowly. "Hunter asked where he should put the microphones, since you were usually the one who would put them away, and I...uh...made it quite clear where he could put them. I don't have to tell you that the answer was not the black boxes in the sound room." He shrugged again, and Trenton cracked a rare smile. What he would have given to watch this Benny fellow smart mouth that little vermin!

Bethany bit her lip. "Well, I'm...really sorry you got fired. It'll be...nice having you around." She hugged him again, to distract him from the hesitation in her voice.

When she pulled away, she smiled at him and then at Trenton. Moments later, they left Benny to check in and get settled at the hotel while they headed down to the auditorium.

Trenton held his umbrella above Bethany's head as they stooped into the rain. She shifted uncomfortably as he climbed into the driver's seat. She took a deep breath to slow her heartbeat, and smiled at him as he turned the key in the ignition.

"So," she started, scrounging for some topic to introduce with her taciturn partner. What would be better: blatantly interrogating him about his supposed criminal acts, or talking about something normal and getting on a more comfortable level?

"How do you like this weather?" She sighed. What a silly question.

The corner of his mouth ticked, and he fought to keep it down. He could see the self-deprecation in her eyes, and the way her fingers were digging into her thighs. He could not imagine why she was trying so hard to get close to him, but he was enjoying every minute of it. She was playing right into his hands.

"I love the rain," he answered truthfully, deeming this to be one subject that was safe to discuss.

A small gasp whispered through her lips, and she looked at him in shock.

"You do?" He cocked an eyebrow and nodded. "Me, too!" She exclaimed. Wow. We have something in common...who knew?

She crossed her arms and stared out the window for the next few minutes. How could she be in any way like Trenton?

She sighed. Seeing Trenton as a monster had kept her at arm's length, and made it very easy to think of destroying his livelihood. Now, with every new discovery she made into his character, he felt less and less like a monster, and more and more like just another human. Was it possible that he was just one more person who made just one more mistake? Perhaps he had not meant to hurt her; maybe he had a valid excuse?

She shook her head as she exited the car. Just because he can make you laugh and likes the rain doesn't mean he's a good person, Bethany. She chastised herself. Don't fall into his trap. He's a criminal. You're here to sniff him out. That's all.