Bobcats Don't Fetch

The day she was supposed to leave for New York, her phone rang with yet another unfamiliar number. She groaned. The last time she had answered a number she did not recognize, it had been the FBI informing her of her current abhorrent predicament. Then again, this time, it could be Hunter. She hoped it was Hunter. She missed him so much, and it had only been three days since he had left on his tour.

Warily, she greeted the anonymous caller. The man on the other end stifled a cough, and then answered in a gruff voice that set the hairs on the back of her neck on end. Her spine stiffened as she recognized it.

"Is this Bethany?" Trenton's voice stuck out in her mind as the worst sound she had ever heard. Still, she cleared her throat and managed to answer with relative calm.

"This is she."

"This is Trenton McDermott. Do you remember me?"

She scowled. How could she possibly forget him? I would not remember you if I had a choice. You can be assured of that, you...you...you...

"Never mind, it is hardly important," Trenton continued, before she could come up with an adequate insult to throw at him. "I have a job offer for you. Are you interested?"

Bethany rolled her eyes. It was just like him: straight to the point, skipping over important details. She rubbed her temple, recalling that irritating trait of his. Of course, he did not realize that she had already accepted his so-called "offer". He probably believed that having her back as his coworker was his idea, completely ignorant of the fact that her involvement in the upcoming production was entirely orchestrated by an organization he probably did not even realize was watching him.

Staying in character, as she had discussed with Jeremy Willakers yesterday, she forced a smile into her voice as she answered, "Yes, certainly! What's the job?"

"You will be my second in command on the new production of Catch Me If You Can. You'll need to be here tomorrow, for casting and interviewing the other workers."

Bethany made a noise, pretending to think it over. "Well, all right, I suppose. I will have to see if I can get a plane ticket. Is there a phone number I can use to reach you if I run into any issues?"

Trenton gave her the number, promptly cutting off the call when the information was given.

Bethany put down the phone, and tried to calm her breathing. This was really happening. Trenton obviously had no idea, or he would not have bothered to call. Maybe this would actually work. Maybe she could actually do this, and then she would be allowed to come back home.

It had to work. It just had to.

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'

Bethany arrived in New York the next day, as planned. She had been informed that Jeremy Willakers and Reese Thereon had been moved to a centralized location in the area, so that she would have better access to them. She also had a pager to use in case of emergencies. She supposed she was glad she was not being completely thrown to the wolves, but no amount of precaution was going to be able to erase the heavy thud of her panicked heart as she stared up at the building that housed Trenton's office.

She took a deep breath to steady herself, then entered reluctantly. A cheery bell sounded from above the door, eerily contrasting with the buzz of nervousness in her chest.

After Hunter had left on his tour, she had gone back to visit Mr. Willakers. During the meeting, they had discussed how she should behave, and what to expect from the suspected criminal. She was still digesting some of the information, and simply the idea of dealing with Trenton the way that Mr. Willakers had suggested made her stomach turn.