Gratitude

He and Amanda looked around for the source of the noise, finally spotting a large man rushing across the street. His perky, neon green shirt nearly blinded Hunter for a moment, and he had the amusing thought that perhaps the visitor was wearing his dark sunglasses to protect his eyes from his own clothes' brilliance. He chuckled under his breath as he watched the man get closer.

When the man finally reached the two of them, he smiled broadly at the both of them. He was a tall, strong man with a pencil-thin nose and a gregarious demeanor. Hunter wondered how Amanda knew him, and simultaneously feared for her life should she ever make him angry.

"Markob," Amanda said hesitantly, her cheeks flaming instantly. He reached to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear, but there was none there. Instead, she simply ran her fingers through her boy-short locks and smiled up at the man shyly. "What a surprise."

The man - Markob as Amanda had called him - laughed loudly.

"Yes, indeed. I'll bet you're wondering why I'm here, eh?"

Her tinkling giggle made Hunter raise a brow in suspicion. Was there something going on here?

The man suddenly turned to him, sticking out his hammer-like hand for Hunter to shake. He did so, smiling warmly and introducing himself.

"Hunter Hayes. It's nice to meet you, mister..."

"Markob," the man supplied. "Markob Jakobie. Pleasure."

Markob turned back to Amanda, motioning to the empty seat at their table. "Do you mind?" She shook her head no, and he sat.

"So what brings you to town?" Markob asked. Hunter wondered if Mr. Jakobie always wore sunglasses, or if it was simply due to the sunny Louisiana weather.

"I'm here for Hunter's concert," Amanda remarked, catching Hunter's eyes and seeming to implore him to speak. He was not sure what he was supposed to say, so he simply remarked, "Yeah. I'm on tour." He heard her sigh almost imperceptibly, but he had no idea what he had done wrong. What else was he supposed to have said?

He watched as Mr. Jakobie paid rapt attention to Amanda, and saw how often she blushed at his smiles. Hunter smiled to himself. If he did not know any better, he would have said Amanda had a crush on this man!

Good for her, he thought, stifling a laugh at her look of utter discomfort. She deserves somebody to make her happy.

"I read about your break up in People magazine, Hunter. That must have been rough."

Hunter's eyes widened. He was shocked to have been thrown to abruptly into the conversation. He had expected to be entirely ignored until the gentleman left. More than that, he was surprised that this behemoth of a man was a reader of People.

"Um...yeah." He struggled to find more words to fill the silence, but the situation was difficult to talk about. Not only because he so desperately missed his Bethany, but also because he was keeping a major secret from coming to light. A federal secret...one he was not even supposed to know.

Markob nodded sympathetically. "I've been there. Do you at least know how she's doing? Has she contacted you at all?"

Hunter shook his head. "No, she hasn't."

Mr. Jakobie continued to nod, and Hunter squirmed under his intensely focused gaze. It was no wonder Amanda had been blushing; this man was a little intimidating!

"Well, that's too bad. But hey, no news is good news, right?" He laughed merrily, though no one joined him. "At least you don't have to worry about her, right? I mean, she's not in danger."

Hunter's mouth gaped open. How was he supposed to respond to that? It was obvious that Markob had no idea that what he was saying was so close to the truth, but it reminded Hunter that Bethany was, no doubt, in danger. He wanted to groan. He wanted to punch this mammoth of a man in the face for bringing it up.

He did neither. Instead, he laughed and agreed, saying, "True, true. I haven't seen her in the news or anything yet, so I guess she's not a fugitive."

He laughed again, as though it was the funniest joke he had ever heard. Markob joined in.

"I wouldn't worry about her. I'm sure she's fine."

Hunter gulped. He wished he could be so confident.

"Well, I believe I've over-extended my welcome," Markob said, getting out of his chair and pushing it into the table. "Amanda, it was lovely to see you, as always."

He bent and kissed her hand, then shook Hunter's. "Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Hayes."

"And you, sir."

Markob Jakobie walked away briskly, and Hunter sighed in relief. Then he turned to look at Amanda, who was searching wildly for something in her purse.

When she finally noticed him staring at her, he wagged his brows suggestively, making her blush again.

"What?" she asked, digging further into her bag.

"Oh, nothing," Hunter said evasively, his humor returning now that Markob had gone. He took a swig of his coffee, nearly choking on his laughter when she gave him a disparaging look.

"Hunter, what is it?"

He took pity on her and explained. "I've just never seen you blush so hard, that's all." He winked at her, and she turned beet red yet again, making him laugh heartily.

"It's not what it looks like, I swear."

His continued laughter was her reply.

"Really, you have no idea what's going on," she insisted, to which he simply raised his hands in surrender and said nothing. To him, it was apparent what was going on. That she did not want to admit it was exactly what he would have expected from her.

She groaned, but finally located the mystery object in her purse, and pulled it out. Hunter's mouth gaped open again when he saw what it was.

"Since when do you smoke?"

She shrugged. "I went to a party one night and somebody offered me one, and I took it. It was after Bethany left and I was feeling really low...I can't seem to stop now." She chuckled drily, but lit the cigarette she had pulled out of the box. "Do you want one?" she asked him, holding out the lighter and the box.

He waved them off. "No, thank you. You shouldn't be having them either."

She rolled her eyes. "I know. They'll kill me."

He nodded emphatically. "Yeah, they will. My parents would kill me if I started smoking."

Amanda's face lit up suddenly, and he raised an eyebrow at her. "Speaking of your parents..." she said teasingly, trailing off purposely and reaching for her phone, which she turned on and pressed to her ear.

"Lynette? This is Amanda. I think Hunter and I are done catching up. Would you guys like to meet us out here at the coffee shop? We can go catch lunch, if you want."

His parents were here? Despite the shock of Amanda's new vice, Hunter was glad that she had brought his parents along. He always missed them when he was on tour.

When she had ended the call, he grabbed her up in a sudden hug. She returned it, laughing into his shoulder.

"Thank you," he whispered, not even sure why this bit of kindness from her was affecting him so. He was close to tears.

"Of course."

Hmm. Any thoughts? Comment, vote, follow me!

Love you guys. 

God Bless and Happy Reading.