Sticky

"Nancy?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Are you sure Hunter will like this dress?"

Nancy's laugh palpably warmed the room. "Darling, I'll be surprised if he doesn't ask you to wear it for the rest of your life!" She leaned forward and planted a kiss on her cheek, careful not to smudge her lipstick onto Bethany's immaculate skin.

A knock resounded on the door, and Nancy went over to answer it. Bethany stood from her seat at the vanity table, wobbling on her heels. Hunter looked amazing. A grey suit, classy black shoes, every hair in place: Bethany was sure no one had ever looked so appealing. His mouth moved as he spoke to Nancy, and she watched the graceful patterns they made in slow motion.

Forever, it seemed, they talked. When finally Nancy's voice drifted into goodbye and Hunter took the last few steps into the room, he closed the door without so much as a glance in Bethany's direction.

Heart pounding, Bethany smoothed her dress. Hunter turned slowly, and the storm in his eyes seemed impossibly beautiful. His mouth formed a little 'o', and he leaned against the door, one hand on his chest.

"Could you just?" His lips puckered, and he shook his head, pulling away from the door and coming closer. "Do something for me, Beth."

Oh, the sweet sound of his voice, untarnished by distance. It seemed a lifetime since they had seen each other that morning.

"What?" The word was a breath, her nervousness freezing her thoughts.

"Turn around." His assertiveness caught her by surprise, and she blushed, doing as he asked.

She felt a cold piece of metal land between her breasts, and Hunter's hands on the back of her neck, working to clasp it in place. Bethany gazed at the tiny teardrop diamond. In awe, she lifted her fingers to take it into her palm.

She never wanted to look away from the delicate jewel. She fought the urge even to blink, afraid it would vanish if she removed her gaze for just a moment. Her resistance could not last forever, and her eyes closed for a split second. In that time, the clear teardrop transformed, and nestled in her palm was her engagement ring.

Bethany smiled, knowing what the ring meant. She turned to kiss the man behind her, the man she loved.

Hunter was no longer there. A large man stood in his place, a cigar on his lips and the smell of peanuts on his breath. His gut jutted out and his thick glasses were tinted gold. She blinked again, this time in horror.

The man changed again...

And he was more beautiful than Hunter.

Bethany's toes uncurled slowly. Her breathing resumed its normal pattern reluctantly. Her fingers loosened their grip on the sheets and she looked around her empty hotel room warily.

She looked down at herself. Her body was covered in an old bra and a pair of panties, and she heard her stomach rumble, reminding her that she had dove into bed without dinner again. Groaning, she lifted herself into sitting position, and glanced at her reflection in the mirror. Yesterday's makeup was smudged on her skin, the ponytail she had styled to perfection the morning before now frizzy, loose strands surrounding her face.

She caught the glint of something in the mirror, just as she felt the hefty swing of the bauble between her breasts. She picked it up, slid it on, loving the weight of the beautiful ring. Had she put it there? She could not recall, but it did not rightly matter.