Wishful Thinking

Bethany had finally drifted to sleep, clinging to Hunter's chest and breathing lightly. He still lay awake, stroking her back lovingly and trying to keep the tears at bay. How had this happened? He had never imagined that a day that had begun so perfectly could sour so quickly and absolutely.

This morning, when he had risen to his alarm, he had seen Beth snuggling under the blankets and kissed her forehead. He had whispered, "I love you," before he left the room, hoping she would feel it when she finally woke. He sang words written about her all day, played music inspired by her beauty. He had laughed, knowing that he would be going home to the most amazing woman he had ever met.

Though it had been nearly midnight by the time he left the studio, he had taken the long route home, since there were not many cars to slow him, and he enjoyed the lonely road. Lights still littered the sidewalk, but one in particular caught and held his eye.

He pulled over and parked, staring at the bright blue sign and feeling a secret smile creep into his eyes. He pushed out of the car, and spent the next half hour searching every corner of the store for what he wanted. It had to be perfect, and he finally found just what he desired, and bought it quickly, exuberance rushing his veins.

When he arrived back at home, his brain was roiling with ideas, and he was so distracted that he had not noticed Bethany's stricken position on the bed. He had peeled off his clothes and turned on the shower, careful to place his gift on top of his shirt on the counter. He gazed at it happily, but was soon interrupted by Bethany's sudden entrance.

He sighed, running his fingers down her arm as she slept. He had been so embarrassed to be caught, and he had felt the flushing of his cheeks. Her eyes had luckily not landed where his had been focused, for which he was glad. If she had seen what he had bought, she would have felt even worse about her situation.

He hated what had happened to her. Trenton McDermott was lucky he would never encounter Hunter. What he had done to Bethany was unforgivable, even considering that he had failed. Hunter could think of no way to avoid allowing Bethany to return to the man's contemptible company, and it was loathsome to be so totally without option. He wished that it she had never gotten the call, that she had never met with the FBI, that she had never had to deal with the revolting person she had called boss. He wished that the whole world could be as tender and good as she, and that no one would ever mistreat her again, or make her do things she dreaded.

More than anything, he wished that the ring, nestled in velvet and sitting atop his discarded black shirt on the bathroom counter, would have its chance to rest on her left hand instead. With this new threat to their relationship, he was terrified that it may never make it there. 

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'

The day of Hunter's tour arrived, and the bus was prepped and ready to leave after the first show. As was their tradition, they were kicking off in Nashville, and, as always, the sold-out concert promised to be massive. For once, however, Hunter could draw no excitement from the idea of performing.

It was an hour before the show, and Hunter was standing in front of a group or thirty or so fans, acting as though everything was ordinary. He had thought he perfected the fake smiles and contrived exuberance long ago, but tonight it was nearly impossible to dredge up even a whisper of happiness.

"Listen, guys, I'm really glad you're all here tonight. How many of you are coming to the show later?" Hunter questioned, watching every hand in the room shoot into the air. He laughed, and they all laughed with him, a sound that brought him no joy, but instead grated on his nerves.

"Well, I have a very special announcement to make tonight, and I am looking forward to sharing it with you guys."

"Tell us now!" A redhead in the back, shouted the command at him, but he forced himself to laugh again and refused. A cry rose up from the crowd, protesting his rejection.

"Come on, guys. I promise it will be worth the wait. I promise. Now, who wants pictures?"

His body may have been in the room, but his brain was far away, behind the stage with Bethany, watching her train her replacement. After tonight, who knew what would happen?

The only thing he knew for sure was how much he was going to miss her. He could only hope that she found what the FBI wanted quickly, so she could return to his arms. It could not come soon enough.