A Familiar Face

I KNOW I'M SORRY!

I'm going to update again soon, I promise! Maybe even tomorrow because I feel awful for not having a crap ton of time anymore. I'm trying, I promise! This book is special to me and I want to get it right. Thank you for sticking with me!

For any of you who are the praying sort, I'd really appreciate a prayer or two for my family. Thank you!

God Bless and Happy Reading!

Hunter hummed and swung his arms as he ambled down the hallway towards the exit. He had just finished his fifth show of the tour, and the energy from the crowd stayed with him. When he returned to the tour bus, he climbed aboard and hopped straight into the shower, washing off the sweat and exhaustion.

The rest of the band were lounging around when he got back to the common area. Sam and Matt were arm wrestling across the short table while Andy and Steve were racing in an animated game of Mario Kart. Hunter smiled, coming in to grab a bottle of water from the fridge. He stayed and watched the four of them for a while, but then retired to his bunk, more than ready to find sleep.

He tossed his arm over his face and squeezed his eyes shut, but made no real effort to slip into slumber. His hand clasped his phone as tightly as it did every night, as if he were more likely to hear from Bethany if he pressed the life from the device. As every other night, it held no messages from his fiancé, and offered no comfort.

He sighed, rubbing his eyes. He may as well turn it off and get some rest. She could not contact him; he already knew that.

Doesn't make it any easier, he thought, reaching for the "Off" switch on his phone. Just as he was pressing it down, it vibrated. He paused, opening the message and squinting against the harsh light.

From: Amanda

To: Hunter

2:13 AM

Hi, Hunt! How was your show?

He groaned. It was empty; I miss my backstage director. It was boring; I miss looking over and seeing Bethany singing along from the back. It was wonderful; I love my fans and I wouldn't give them up for anything.

It was awful; I want Bethany home.

He said none of those things, instead just answering that it had gone well.

From: Amanda

To: Hunter

2:17 AM

Good! I'm glad to hear it! I'm going to truck out there and see your show in Louisiana. Would you be opposed to meeting up for coffee or something?

Hunter frowned. Did he have a problem with that? It was not like Amanda was making advances or anything; she had not shown any interest in him since the debacle with her ex boyfriend, Matt, and even then it had been a ruse.

He shrugged. What was the harm? It would be nice to see a friendly face. Besides, she was probably missing Bethany just as much as he was, and it would be nice to have a fresh pair of ears to lay his troubles on.

To: Amanda

From: Hunter

2:20 AM

Sure, that would be nice. I have about two hours before sound check at four that afternoon. Maybe we could grab coffee and lunch and hang out with the guys?

She took an abnormally long time to answer, and he worried that he may have said something wrong. She did not say anything, though, simply answered in the affirmative and bid him goodnight. He closed his eyes and nodded. Good, he thought. It'll be nice to see her.

He turned his phone off and flipped onto his stomach, drifting off to sleep in mere minutes.