Sooner

"Do you think you've got the hang of it?" Bethany asked, after explaining the order of the ropes for the fourth time. The woman Ned Conner - Hunter's manager, producer, and friend - had hired to replace Bethany was wiry and tall. Her body resembled a thin noodle, and she was just as stiff as one that had been on the counter for far too long.

Karina, which was her name, nodded and smiled tightly down at her. Bethany smiled wryly in return, and rubbed her temples.

"Good. Now, if you'd like to go meet some of the backstage workers, feel free. We've still got a little time until the show starts."

Karina waltzed off, and Bethany sat in between two of the ropes dejectedly. She had not been able to tell Ned or any of her friends why she was quitting her job. She had used the only excuse she could think of to convince them she was making the right choice: that she was tired of her relationship with Hunter, and could barely stand to be in his company for much longer. She had agreed to stay long enough to help train her successor, but would participate in no more than the first show of the tour.

Hunter's band members had been aghast.

"I thought you guys were doing great!" Sam had exclaimed. Sam was one of Hunter's best friends, as well as Bethany's. While she was close to all of his band mates, it was to Sam that she hated lying the most.

"We have been having a lot of problems recently," Bethany fibbed. "I just can't deal with it anymore."

"Are you sure you can't work it out?" Matt, Hunter's funniest friend, questioned. "I mean, you guys give me hope for romance."

Bethany had laughed, despite how horrible she felt about the whole situation. "No," she denied, "I don't think that's going to be possible."

They had all hugged her and tried their hands at convincing her to stay, but she held her ground until they dropped the issue. She made them promise not to say a word to Hunter, and so far, they had not broken their word.

A pair of arms wrapped around her shoulders from behind, and she caught Hunter's scent in the air. His lips found their way to the side of her head, and he gave her a peck before laying his cheek beside hers.

"Have I told you today how much I love you?" Hunter whispered, making her chuckle softly. "Because I do."

Bethany gripped his forearm with her hands and heaved a sigh. "I love you, too, Hunter."

For a few moments, they remained there, wishing things could be different for them. When Bethany finally stood, she jumped between the ropes and wrapped her arms around his neck. He held her, until he heard  his name being called from his dressing room.

"That'll be Nancy," he said, chuckling. Nancy was his hair and makeup designer. "She'll want to check me over before the show."

Bethany nodded. "Okay. Better not keep her waiting," she replied, trying to keep the gloom from her voice. She leaned up to kiss him. She tried to make it quick, but he snatched her into a fierce embrace and kissed her deeply.

When he pulled back, they were both breathless, and Bethany was sure that Nancy would have some work to do on Hunter's tussled hair.

"Why don't you come with me, Beth?" His eyes said what his mouth did not: that he wanted to spend every last moment he could with her. Time was precious; neither wanted to let it slip without taking full advantage of it.

"I can't, Hunt. I have a few things I have to deal with back here." She ran her hand down his cheek, and he scratched the back of his neck.

"Okay, then. I guess I'll...see you out there, then?" he asked, looking sullen and unsure.