The Truth

So, good afternoon. (: I'm updating again. Shocking, right? But I finally figured out a few nuances of the plotline, so I'm rolling a little easier again. Also, my room is practically empty of my belongings, which makes it easier to ignore distraction. 

Please continue praying for me, if you wouldn't mind. I greatly appreciate it!

Comment, vote, follow me, hit me up in my inbox. If you're just starting out with reading this, tell me how you're liking it thus far! Thank you so much for your interest! And for getting this far!

God Bless and Happy Reading!

They got up and headed to the nearby country buffet place, opting to wait outside for Lynette and Leo. They talked more easily now, Hunter's excitement over seeing his parents seeping into the conversation. Just as he was throwing his empty coffee mug in the trash can outside of the restaurant, he caught sight of his mother searching through the crowd, presumably for him.

"Mom!" he called. Her face lit up when she saw him, and he was folded in her embrace soon after. "Dad!" He strong-armed his father, slapping him on the back and laughing.

"It's so good to see you, honey!" Lynette commented, giving him another hug.

"I had no idea you guys were coming!" he replied, squeezing her hand.

"Yeah, well, Amanda called. Said she was coming up here for your show, and we've been meaning to come in anyway, to visit your grandparents. It seemed far too fortuitous to pass up, dear."

"Well, I'm glad you came. It's so nice to see you." He smiled at them both. "Dad, how are you?"

Leo laughed deeply. "I'm fine, son. Just fine! Come on. Amanda is waiting."

They made their way back over to Amanda, got their food, and sat around the table swapping stories. When they had all eaten their fill - Hunter and Leo took far too much advantage of the buffet, and were sure they would regret it in an hour - Amanda got up to visit the restroom, leaving Hunter and his parents alone for a few minutes.

Lynette, never one to take an opportunity for granted, cut straight to the chase.

"Honey, how are you doing?"

Hunter sighed. He had not spoken much to his parents since Bethany had left, so he could not really blame his mother for her concern. Even they were working under the assumption that he had been brutally rejected in front of thousands of his fans. Leo, too, had a look on his face that hinted at his worry.

He decided to be honest. His mother was far too perceptive to deceive with any amount of success.

"I'm...I've been better," he admitted, laughing awkwardly and scratching the back of his neck. "I miss her, you know?"

"Oh, baby," Lynette said, reaching out and taking his hand. "I'm so sorry. If it helps, we never liked her."

Hunter laughed, but looked up at them when he noticed neither of them were joining him.

"Wait...seriously? You don't like her?"

"Well, sweetie, she's very pretty. There's no denying that. But...I mean, come on, sweetheart, she was always laughing about something. Nobody is that happy, baby. I'm sure that if you married her, you'd find out she was secretly a witch. I mean, you're very famous, dear. How do you know that she wasn't just after you for exposure?"

Hunter's mouth gaped. He looked between his two companions, trying to comprehend what he was sure must be some sick prank. Surely they must be trying to be funny. They could not possibly object to Bethany, certainly not for a reason based on so many vague assumptions.

"You're joking, right?" he finally choked out. Without waiting for an answer, he continued, "There's no way you don't like her. She's the most amazing woman I've ever met." His voice was calm, factual, but his mother's eyes fell as he castigated her.

"Mom, why are you telling me this? Just because we broke up doesn't mean I want to know that you don't like her. And what is that supposed to mean, anyway?" His voice rose with his anger. "She's too happy? Mom, you're the happiest woman on the planet! You of all people should know that it's possible to put a good face on even the worst of situations. You taught me that!"

He sputtered for a moment, trying to collect his thoughts, trying to stop himself from saying any more. He never fought with his mother, and he never raised his voice to her, either. Still, he was down the rabbit hole, and could not stop his tongue from continuing his speech.

"And how dare you suggest that she wanted me for my fame? We were happy together; that's why she wanted me. Not because I'm famous! Also, if she wanted me for my fame, why would she refuse to marry me? Huh? You're wrong. I can't believe you really think that. What has she ever done to you?"

He shook his head at them. He gave them no chance to redeem themselves, simply threw a twenty dollar bill on the table and stormed out of the restaurant.

It was good he was finding this out now, because it sure as hell made a difference. His parents hated his fiancé. How was he ever to tell them the truth?