four

m i n u t e   f o u r

River's POV

"Can I get a large plate of fries and two milkshakes please?"

"What flavours?"

"Chocolate and Vanilla,"

"That'll be $7.50,"

I handed the woman the money and placed the change in the tip jar as she went to go and prepare the fries and the milkshake.

My head turned back towards Sage, I watched as she drew patterns on the table with a small smile sitting on her face. I openly admired the way her brown hair cascaded down her back. Freckles were lightly dusted on her nose and her cheeks, they stood out more in the summer.

She lay her head on her hand as she closed her eyes.

I shouldn't have come to see her I should've just let her stay mad, she's a strong girl she would've moved on. Me on the other hand, I couldn't do this. I didn't want to see her only to leave again it's like a part of me was being ripped away and I hated this feeling. I hated everything that came along with love, all the conditions and side effects.

Maybe that's why I never told her I loved her.

"I got you a milkshake as well," I said as I sat back in the booth wrapping my hands around her waist, killing any space between us.

"Was it -"

I interrupted her knowing what she was going to ask, "Yes it was chocolate,"

"Thank you," She smiled before pinching me, and it fucking hurt, "you shouldn't interrupt people when they're talking believe it or not some consider it to be rude,"

"Yeah, yeah," I rolled my eyes and let her continue her rambling.

Looking outside the window I saw fireworks decorate the sky with their colours, purple and gold, then pink then blue. Nudging Sage I tilted my head in the direction of the fireworks, she hurried up to get a closer look as her hazel eyes glowed with happiness.

She had always loved the small, simple things.

"Make a wish," she urged me.

Ever since she was little she'd wished on fireworks rather than stars, I remember her telling me it was something she always did with her dad.

I personally thought it was stupid to wish on fireworks or stars, on anything at all to be honest because there was no point. The likelihood of what you wished for actually coming true was very slim, everyone was just setting themselves up for disappointment. Selling themselves a dream.

But ever since I'd met Sage I had begun to do a lot of things I wouldn't do just to see her smile. Just because I didn't believe it didn't mean I couldn't try it, first time for everything right.

I peeked one eye open as saw her wishing desperately, following her lead I closed my eyes and tried to silence my head as I made a wish.

I wish - nah forget it.

I opened my eyes and drank my milkshake as Sage climbed under the table and sat opposite my seat, she held onto my hand before going back to eating.

As I stared at the girl in front of me everything in life seemed simpler because I knew what I wanted.

Her.

When I looked at her I felt my heart glow, it was a subtle feeling but I knew at that moment my heart made the wish for me.

I hope that one day before the lights dim and the stars go out that we find each other and fall in love the way we were supposed to.