Searching

Now you didn't think I'd just leave it there right? Phfft, no faith lol. I hope you enjoy this little bit. Huge shout out to a lovely human who has helped me with their comments. You know who you are. Loves!

Victor

Kota's bedroom door shuts with a soft click. "You've been avoiding me." He's sitting perched on the edge of his bed quickly rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. It's well past midnight and I'm just now returning. Mr. Blackbourne has had to kick me out of the hospital for the last week, ever since the club. I just can't sleep near him without wanting to say something but saying something wouldn't be good so I don't. I slip in late at night and Kota pretends to keep sleeping. I wake up early and am out the door before he can stop me. I guess he's tired of that.

Letting out a breath I put my bag by his desk and sit on the chair. Without saying anything Kota comes over and kneels before me to look me in the eye. His vivid green eyes stare back at me from behind black frames. His normally messy hair is all over the place and dark circles glow under his eyes. "Please,Victor, please let me help you. No matter what it is we can figure things out." Except we can't. This isn't a problem Kota's brain can fix. This isn't something that is easy to dismiss.

A soft, sad smile works itself over my face as I watch the worry fade just a little from Kota's face. "I'm okay. It's nothing really." His hand hovers for a moment over my cheek before he places it on my skin. The contact sends a shiver down my spin that I try to suppress. His thumb hooks under my chin and forces my face to look at his head on.

"Please tell me." Kota's strong tenor voice is soft and filled with worry. I want to ease his worry but I don't know how. I can't exactly just say, 'Yeah, I'm having trouble sleeping near you, being around you at all because I think I'm falling in love with you.' That sounds like a very, very bad idea. We just sit there staring at each other when I notice he's much closer than a moment ago. Just as his eyes start to flutter a bit my phone rings and he springs away from me.

*Call*

Victor: Golden

Sean: Earlobe

Victor: What's up?

Sean: I need you to run a few checks on someone for me. I've got Corey looking in depth into her story but I want to know more about her. You free?"

Flicking my eyes over to Kota I see him sitting on the edge of his bed watching me intently. Pulling my eyes away I pull out my laptop and open up my backdoor into the state database.

Victor: Yeah, ready when you are.

Sean: Great. Sarah Denmus. S-A-R-A-H D-E-N-M-U-S. She came into the hospital tonight with a bit of a story and a fair bit of amnesia. I want to know if we can keep her here for a while or if a transfer to the hospital across town is the best option.

Victor: I'll call you as soon as I know anything.

Sean: Thanks Vic.

*End Call*

Pocketing my phone I swivel the chair around and place my laptop on the desk. I hear Kota step up behind me and feel his breath on my hair as he reads the screen over my shoulder. "Who's she?" Clicking through a few of the encrypted sections of the state registry I start looking in all of the obvious places a name might be mentioned.

"Don't know. She showed up at the hospital and Doc needs to know if she's clear to stay at the Academy hospital for awhile." His hand comes up to rest on my shoulder as he leans forward just a bit more to look closer. "This would be easier if I had a picture. I should have asked him while he was on the phone." The hand on my shoulder gives a quick squeeze before releasing and a light flairs behind me.

"I'll ask him real quick." After a moment his phone chimes again and Kota places it on the desk beside me. "Here." Looking down I note the way her black hair looks clean and tame. Her face is rosy pik and a bright pair of sapphire eyes sit behind thick lashes. She doesn't look like she's been anywhere too bad but looks can be deceiving. Looking through area after area I keep running into nothing with the state registry.

With a small huff I start looking in the surrounding states and still don't find any mention of a Sarah Denmus. I wouldn't have thought it before Sang but now the idea that she's a ghost flits through my mind. Widening my search again I look nationally. Nothing, nothing and more nothing. The bed behind me creaks as Kota lays down, probably to go back to sleep.

Before I know it the sun is rising and I still haven't found anything. I've even forwarded her picture to myself and done a cross reference. There were a few possible matches about missing people from three or four years ago but nothing that completely matched. Finally around eight in the morning, just as Kota was getting up I decided to give up for a bit to try and nap. Running a hand down my face I dial Dr. Green back.

Sean: Starfish

Victor: Sunrise

Sean: What have you found?

Victor: Nothing of substance yet. And I do mean nothing. I'm going to try and catch a small nap before looking again. Maybe Corey will have some tips but so far this girl doesn't exist.

Sean: That's... concerning. Okay well, if there isn't a reason we have to move her I'll let her stay just with a note that she isn't Academy. Get some sleep and let me know if you DO find anything later.

Victor: Will do.

*End Call*

Standing I crack my back before dipping into the bathroom to brush my teeth and throw on some sleep clothes. My reflection causes me to pause though. Deep, bruise-like circles ring my eyes and my skin look paler than normal. My hair is a mess with pieces falling everywhere and my eyes look dull. I had hoped my eyes didn't look quite so dull anymore but it seems that might be permanent. Touching the circle under my right eye I watch as a zombie does the same from the mirror.

I hate McCoy in this moment more than I ever have. I hate him for making me scared and I hate him for stealing everything inside me. I hate him for the zombie I am now. My own reflection is scarier than any of the horror movies Nathan loves. I hate McCoy but even more than that I hate who I am now.