[4] Just a Hunk of Brewing Love

"Well, you tried," Abby says, rubbing my back as we squat in the dingy alleyway.

            I close my eyes and shake my head. I'm sure Abby has never had any of these embarrassing dating moments like I have. She's always so calm, cool, and collected. My stomach gurgles again, and I bring the back of my hand up to my mouth. "I don't want to talk about it anymore," I mutter.

            "I'm sure Martha will give you another chance—"

            "Abby. Please. Shut up."

            She does thankfully. The door next to us eases open, and when I bring my eyes up, Martha is standing there, with one hip cocked out to the side. "Feeling better, Vick?"

            I grimace. "I'm sorry again, Martha."

            "No, no, don't worry! I have a lot of vampire friends who reacted badly the first time we met." She bites her lip. "But to be honest... none of them have ever thrown up before."

            "I wanted to the first time I met you," Abby says cheerfully.

            "You're so mean!" Martha rolls her eyes. "Anyway. So, um, what are you two up to after this?"

            I don't respond, but Abby shrugs. "Nothing. What's up?"

            "If you're not busy, Abby—I-I was going to invite you over for a night cap." Martha's cheeks burn red.

            Peeking at Abby, my heart hammers in my chest. I thought Abby was straight, but the look in her eyes is telling me I am quite wrong about that. Perhaps she and Martha had—or currently have—a thing? Maybe it's a first-time offer too.

            Abby's eyes are wide and swirling dark red. I can't tell if it's the dim alleyway light or some kind of desire. She nods, her telltale smirk forming on her face. "Yeah. Let's do it. Give me a second with Vick."

            "Sure," Martha says softly. She gives me a dainty wave of the hand. "Nice to meet you, Vick. I hope we can hang out again sometime."

            I nod, and Martha pulls out her phone, turning around. My eyes meet Abby's, and her smirk is gone, replaced by a thin line of concern. "You good?" she asks. "I can walk you home if you want."

            "I'm good." I sigh. "Just embarrassed." Raising an eyebrow, I snort. "Especially now that I know you two are a thing."

            "We're just friends," she says, "Really good friends."

            "You have a thing for werewolves, don't you?"

            She chuckles. "What can I say? I like hair."

            "The hell! Good for you, but I did not need to know that about you—"

            Her hand ruffles my hair. "Be good. Get home safe. Try to find a neck to suck."

            "You've got that covered yourself, I see."

            "Damn right I do." She stands up and winks to me. "Text you later." Then she saunters over to Martha and grabs her around the waist. They walk to the end of the alley and turn the corner to the right. I'm alone.

            My heart is still beating fast. I'm not sure why, but I guess I better cherish it before it stills itself completely for the rest of eternity. I take my phone out of my pocket and unlock it with face recognition. LINGR opens immediately. Great: now my phone thinks I'm a horny asshole. Still, it doesn't hurt to keep scrolling. I wish Abby and Martha had stayed, but whatever: I'm not about to be a third wheel. Besides, there are so many people on this damn app; it keeps growing by the day. I'm sure to find someone to hang out with tonight, right?