~Chapter 5~

Tanjiro POV

I woke up and I saw this girl sitting next to me "Are you alright?" She asked. I gasped and sat up "Please tell me you saw that?" I asked her. "The way that guy hit me. His swing didn't lose an ounce of power. It was just beautiful. I wanna be able to do that. What do you think? Could that be possible?" I questioned. "Hm, I'm positive it is cause I'll be there to look after you." She said and smiled. I blushed 'She's cute.' I thought. "I'm sorry who are you?" I asked. The girl told me her name was Makomo and the name of the guy who beat me up was Sabito. Makomo helped guide me by pointing out everything I was doing wrong.

She corrected my unnecessary movements and all my bad habits. But when I asked her why she was helping me and where she came from she wouldn't say. "Sabito and I, we both love Urokodaki very much." She said that a lot almost like a catchphrase. She and Sabito weren't siblings. They were orphans and Urokodaki raised them. "We're not alone though there's other children too. They're always watching you, Tanjiro." She said. She is cute, but Makomo is a strange girl. Her speech is so abstract dreamy. "With total concentration breathing, your blood circulation accelerates because your heart rate is faster than normal. That causes your body temperature to spike as well allowing you to fight with the strength of a demon, s its crucial to expand your lung capacity, by introducing lots of air into your blood stream all at once. Your blood gets excited, so you bones and muscles start to heat up and grow stronger." She said.

None of that made sense "So how do I do that?" I asked her. "Train until it kills you, because really when you get down to it there's nothing else you can do." She said. So I trained till my arms and legs wanted to fall off. Until my lungs and heart felt like they were going burst. I swung my sword, but still Sabito kept beating me. Six months later that changed. Once again I challenged him to a duel, but this time his sword was real. "It took you six months, you look like you finally belong." He said taking his sword out. "This is the day I win." I said. A head to head fight like this is simple. Whoever is stronger and faster comes out on top. I took a deep breath and got ready. It was all over in an instant. Today in a fraction of a second , for the first time my blade struck Sabito first.

As soon as I won Sabito smiled. He looked happy, but also sad. A smile of relief. "Tanjiro. You did just great. Never forget about this. Keep winning for me Tanjiro, the next one too." Makomo said and she disappeared. Next thing I knew, Sabito was gone and I was sure what my blade cut through was his mask , but no it was the boulder. 

Time skip

There's a reason I won, because I learned how to detect the Opening Thread. As soon as I pick up the scent I'm able to see the thread. It guides me, it connects my blade to any opening my opponent leaves me and it tightens as I see it. It quickly draws my blade forward, then I strike. "Urokodaki..." I said seeing him walk up. "To be honest I never had any intention of sending you to Final Selection." He said. "because I didn't want to see anymore children die. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to cut through this boulder, but..." He said and rubbed my head "Well done Tanjiro. You're truly remarkable. I'm very proud." he said with his hand on my head. I could feel tears form in my eyes and start to fall down. I hugged Urokodaki and I feel him hug me back.  "Make sure you come back from Final Selection alive. Your sisters and I we'll be waiting for you here." Urokodaki said.

I gasped "There's so much food what's the deal?" I asked seeing a bunch of food being cooked. "You finished your training, so were celebrating. Time to eat, don't be shy." He said handing me a bowl. "Thank you I'm starving." I said grabbing the bowl and I started eating. After eating I stared cutting my hair since it grew longer all this time "Hey, Tanjiro, what did you think of the hot pot?" Urokodaki asked. "It was great. I haven't feast like that in awhile." I said. "A growing boy with an appetite like yours would get bigger and stronger, the bigger his meals are the same applies to demons. Remember that. The more humans the demon has eaten the more powerful he'll be." He said.