Chapter 13

(*presses T.A.R.D.I.S buttons furiously*
It seems I-
*surroundings shake*
-may have miscalculated slightly-
*Explosions*
-on that last time jump. But I'm here now! So... yeah
*collapses onto the floor*)

Kai plodded down the stairs wearily the next morning. His hair was limp and there were dark circles under his eyes. His whole body felt so heavy, and even taking a step looked as if it was exhausting for him, like breathing and blinking and swallowing was a tiring chore. He couldn't focus of anything, a layer of cobwebs seemed to cover his mind, and try as he might, Kai could not shake them off.

Tripping slightly down the last step, he trudged over the scarlet carpet towards the cafeteria, using his shoulder to open the door to preserve energy. He grabbed a box of cookie cereal from the table, not bothering to add milk as he sat as far away from the other ninja as physically possible and munched on his dry food.

Kai could feel the way his throat felt scratchy as he swallowed the tiny biscuits, tickling and threatening to choke him. Yet he paid it no heed, after all, who would listen to the threats of a bowl of cereal?
But as karma would have it, five seconds later Kai broke into a coughing fit, his face turning red as he struggled to breath. A firm hand patted his back, passing a glass of water, Kai began chugging it down faster than humanly possible. The liquid soothed his parched throat and he sighed in relief.

Looking up to his saviour, Kai let out a weak yelp as he saw Ranger, his brows crinkled in concern and a frown evident on his face.

"Kai, are you feeling okay? You look awfully pale." Kai's pulse quickened and he gulped, but remained silent, "Kai? Please answer me." Ranger moved out of Kai's view momentarily before returning with a panic-stricken Nya.

Kai latched onto the water ninja's arm, pulling her closer to whisper in her ear, "It's Ranger, he's got-" Nya pulled away and Kai mentally facepalmed. He hadn't spoken loud enough, of course he hadn't. Nya gave Kai a confused look and turned back to talk to Ranger.

Looking at Ranger's innocent expression made Kai feel sick. He decided to confront him in private later.

...

Setting the golden picture frame back on her bedside, P.I.X.A.L sighed. She scrunched up the dark blue fabric over her chest, feeling the thrum of her electrical heart beating wildly. When she had been rebuilt she found she still had the half of Zane's power source. She couldn't fathom how it had happened, but she didn't care. They were connected by more than just a bond, they shared a heart. P.I.X.A.L could feel that she was linked to him, no matter how far away he was.

Right then, she could almost feel the ghost of Zane's lips on her cheek, and the way his fingers would caress her arms gently. She could recall so vividly the way his metallic hair looked under the moon, each strand was like starlight itself, and his beautiful eyes glowed just as brightly, still filled with the childlike innocence that he had when they first met. P.I.X.A.L remembered listening as Zane would point out all of the flickering lights above, naming every one of the small suns. She loved how the corners of his eyes would crinkle as his lips curved into a smile, continuing to blurt out facts.

P.I.X.A.L wanted Zane so desperately, more than she had ever remembered, but life always seemed to get in the way. She hated saying it, but when the other ninja were trapped in Prime Empire, P.I.X.A.L loved spending time with him, with no interruptions. She yearned for his warm embrace, and the more time they were apart, the more time she felt herself slowly losing her sanity.

Picking up a bag and placing it on her back, she rolled open her bedroom door, the early morning sunlight streaming in through a nearby window. P.I.X.A.L could hear the faint sound of snores drifting through the hallway. Master Wu was still asleep - it was a perfect opportunity to run.
The other ninja didn't know Zane like she did, he could be right under their noses without them realising. Though he might not look it, Zane was an expert at disguises.

P.I.X.A.L silently shifted the monastery doors and began descending the stairs at a quick pace, jumping over three at a time.

Within five minutes, she had stumbled to the bottom of the staircase. She continued on, but she wasn't following the ninja. P.I.X.A.L felt as if her heart was trying to talk to her.

'North!' It sung, 'North! North! North!'
She had tried to try to pry more answers from the voice, but it refused to budge and she eventually gave up.

As P.I.X.A.L wandered, she decided to disguise herself in order to attract less attention. Zane had helped her install a holographic projector, very similar to his own, into her quite a while ago. She had changed into plain clothes a few hours prior, consisting of navy jeans and a blue and green striped shirt. P.I.X.A.L reached into the very depths of her imagination, disguising herself as a made up girl.
The teenage girl had lusciously thick curly hair that flowed down to her thighs, the spiralling strands were pure white and the tips looked like they were dipped in the darkest ink. Her face was pale and a birthmark of a crescent moon on her left arm. Her eyes were now a light shade of green and were hidden slightly by naturally long eyelashes.

P.I.X.A.L, or her new form she had deemed Aria Viridi, trekked through the forest with newfound confidence. She adjusted the straps of her backpack to fit her new form easier before setting her internal compass to North and began on her perilous journey.