Chapter 5

(*waves excitedly* Can you believe it's 2021 already? It been a heck of a year!)

Jay gasped is disbelief, his breaths coming out in shallow heaves. It was like the oxygen was refusing to enter his lungs, the air seemed so heavy and cold. His skin paled, highlighting his splatter of golden freckles that decorated his features. The rings under his eyes seemed slightly more prominent and his lips turned a shade of blue similar to the gi he was currently wearing. His nose and cheeks were a rosy red and his every exhale released puffs of condensation, the steamy tendrils curling around one another, dancing to a silent tune. The lightning ninja sniffed, using his hand to wipe away the frozen snot that came from his nostrils like icicles.

He shuddered, the temperature was way below freezing and having the element of lightning didn't really do much good in this situation, 'where was Kai when you needed him?' Jay questioned inwardly while sneezing as the temperature dropped once again.

Jay's head throbbed and there was a loud ringing in his ears, his heart pounded violently in his rib cage. If he went on like this, he would end up fainting. He turned his gaze over to the two bickering people to his left.

He strained his ears to try to listen to what they were saying, it wasn't that they weren't speaking loudly, it was more of the fact that the cold had interfered and his head spun so much that words seemed to enter his brain in a jumbled up heap. Random phrases and indistinguishable words were all he was able to pick up,

"ha-t lie-! I don- kn- -at y- talk- -out!"

"Ha- I stru- -ve? Don- -ou dear frie- to know th- tru-?"

Jay blocked it out after a while, only listening in when he heard something significant. It was only when he heard what Aspheera said lastly, that he knew something seemed...off - and Jay didn't mean in Aspheera's usually crazy way, he meant with Zane.

Jay had obviously realised the temperature had continued dropping since their bickering started, but he didn't look to much into it. Zane often made the monastery freezing when he felt certain, extremely strong emotions, so Jay had kind of gotten used to it. But he still couldn't get over the urge to hug the only source of heat left in the monastery in those times - the HotHead. Jay and the others would practically cling on Kai to get warmth while Zane released his tensions.
But compared to Zane's usual blast of cold air, this felt more like a snowstorm. Jay peered at Zane. Or at least he thinks that's Zane, it's hard to tell with Zane wearing all that armour-

Wait...

Armour?

Jay's vision became slightly more focused and his hearing seemed almost back to normal. He heard a hissing voice speak out,

"What're you gonna do, little ninja, kill me?" The serpentine witch smiled, showing her rows of sharp teeth and her forked tongue. Jay almost laughed out loud at Aspheera's taunt. Her come backs seriously needed some TLC. Yet, despite her crude comment, Jay sensed something else. A yearning almost. As if she had formulated a plan in her mind - a reason why she had said those words. But it wasn't like it would really have an impact on either of them, they were ninjas not killers. Their was a pause as Jay presumed Zane was trying to find a way to say 'no' to Aspheera without sounding to harsh. He was always best at that kind of-

"Yes."

Jay choked on nothing - or it could have been the tension in the room, Jay wasn't so sure - and gazed up at the nindroid in fear and disbelief, 'did Zane just say he was going to,' Jay gulped, 'kill Aspheera?' It seemed improbable, yet it was happening right in front of Jay's eyes. Their was no denying the twisted, dark expression.

All too soon, his dizziness returned and he collapsed in a heap of blue.

...

When the master of lightning finally came to, his first thought was why he had had such a strange dream. His heart still thrummed in his chest and he arose from his bed, pulling off the duvet covers and looking at the clock on the wall, '2:17' the clock read and Jay groaned. Why did he have to wake up so early? He would never go back to sleep now!