Chapter 4

(*whispers* Things can only get messier from here on out...
Also, Jay can be such an adorable idiot.)

Lloyd sat in stunned silence. 'Did Zane really think that he was broken, that we would abandon him if we saw a fault in him?' Lloyd opened his mouth to speak, but only indistinguishable stutters came out. After all, who would know what to do when a usually composed nindroid reveals his darkest fears?

Zane sighed, taking Lloyd's silence the wrong way, and picked himself up from the ground, "Just as I thought."
"Wait, no! Zane! That's not what I-"
Zane had already shut Lloyd's door with a loud 'bang!'

Things only got worse from there. Zane had completely  shut himself out from the world, he was not eating, (not that he generally needed to, but it was worrying nonetheless), and he had locked himself in his bedroom refusing to speak to anyone.

Lloyd had gotten into serious trouble after hitting Cole - who was currently sporting a black eye and a partially broken nose. The green ninja was sat on a chair in the dining room, head bowed while Sensei Wu lectured him endlessly about responsibilities and whatnot. Lloyd had zoned out hours ago, and that wasn't an exaggeration. Sensei Wu had began talking and scolding as soon as Lloyd had arisen, and now Lloyd could see the sun starting to descend. He sighed helplessly and buried his face in his hands,

"Look sensei, I overreact - I get that. I apologise. Now can I please go?"

Wu contemplated this for a moment or two before agreeing, albeit a little unwillingly, "I- yes. Fine. Go and play your endless video games." Sensei Wu waved him off and guided him into the hallway and slamming the door, leaving Lloyd with a fresh wave of guilt. Lloyd facepalmed at his foolishness and continued down the hallway and into the courtyard.

Lloyd gasped slightly when he saw Zane out of his bedroom, training. He seemed to be in a slightly better mood, with a faint smile painted on his metallic features as he performed a wide array of training moves. Zane hadn't noticed the green ninja, even as Lloyd sat on a bench nearby. The nindroid seemed to be completely absorbed in his training and unaware of his surroundings. For a moment Lloyd felt like everything had returned to how it was before Aspheera messed everything up. But - of course - that moment didn't last long.

"Hey Lloyd," it was Jay, "What are you-"

Lloyd mouthed the words, 'shut up' to Jay.

"What?" Jay screeched, "Lloyd, you need to speak louder I can't-"

Zane had snapped out of his peaceful state, his happy smile turning blank and expressionless. He greeted Jay and Lloyd courteously, "Greetings Jay, Lloyd," he paused, "Well, I should be going-"

Jay grabbed his sleeve, "Zane," he said slowly, "don't you go and lock yourself away again. I've had enough of it."

"Please, Jay." The lightning ninja looked into Zane's pitiful, sorrowful eyes, "I'm not ready to tell you yet."

"Tell us what?"

"I...I can't. I just can't."

Jay bit his lip, "Well...If there's anything we can do for you, you can just ask. You know that right?"

Zane nodded appreciatively before saying, "Actually could I ask for a favour , Jay?"

"Sure! What is it?"

"I- well- I was hoping I could go to kryptarium Prison and visit Aspheera. We have," Zane coughed, "Unfinished business."
️️️
—————

"What?!" Nya screeched in alarm, "You're telling me, Zane wants to visit Aspheera - the evil serpentine witch who banished him to another realm?!" Jay nodded solemnly and Nya rubbed her face against her hands, "What're you gonna say?"