Chapter 19

(*crawls out from under rock*
*throws new chapter*
Please vote for 2000 words worth of me traumatising Zane.
*backs away into the shadows*)

Turns out, Mystery Man was actually a pretty cool guy. Apart from his frequent references to weird things called 'Terminator's and a 'Lion King' -whatever or whoever a Lion King was- and his frequent and empty threats to 'stab you until you bleed out onto the ground' he seemed to be a pretty decent person to communicate with. Zane, for one, enjoyed the new, strangely optimistic (and possibly a tad sadistic) company greatly as they began trekking through the more snowy areas of Ninjago.

Zane estimated the male was young, and despite the fact he could probably pass as a twenty year old, looks could be decieving - he should know. The nindroid could tell from the sparkle in his chocolate eyes as Zane would reattach the string to his bows' body, using a foot to secure it in place as the bow curved and he carefully slipped the string on. Zane would never miss the fleeting smile that spread across the boy's hollow cheeks as he nocked an arrow, drew the bow to his specific anchor point and loose the arrow, letting it fly. His focused, hard gaze seemed to crumble away under the boy's awe and his childish curiousity (and not to mention the fact the boy's voice had slowly lost it's so obviously fake low tone, turning into a squeaky, bubbly sound akin to a puppy) and for the first time in almost seventy years, with the comfort of his friends nearby and Rhea nuzzled into his neck, he smiled freely.

Not the tight, wary smile that his family had grown accustomed to, or the grin that would subconsciously sprout on his face as he was knee-high in bodies with teeth stained crimson, no, this was his alias' smile.

This was Ranger, he was Ranger, a teenager who had not so much as walked out of a shop without thanking the seller profusely for their services. Zane felt free and so very very alive.

So of course it all had to end.

"Uh so Mr. Ranger, is it? Where are you all going? Are you just travelling Ninjago or...?" The boy asked curiously.

Zane chuckled slightly and smirked, "Before I answer any more of your questions, I have come to believe the proper etiquette is that when asked my name they share theirs' in return, is that correct?"
The boy hit his forehead with his palm, "Oh my FSM, I'm such an idiot, my name's Nairn."

Zane nodded and hummed in contentment, "That name suits you well, young one. As for your question, me and my companions," He threw a hand towards their general around twenty metres behind, "are travelling to a nearby village. You may have heard of it, Auris?"

The boy, Nairn, bounced around him like an excited puppy, "Yes, yes I do! I live there."

Zane released a rasping cough, as if struggling to swallow the boy's words, "I-" he coughed again, "I'm sorry?"

Nairn's gaze grew slightly wary, "Have you got a problem with Auris people or something?" he gasped and let out his next words in a low hiss, "You're not a nix salvam tortorem, are you?"

The nindroid's eyes morphed into one of one of horror, "A tormentor? Oh my First Spinjitzu Master, of course not!" Zane took a few seconds to recollect his thoughts, "I was simply surprised, because...well..." He had to play his cards right, one incorrect move could be fatal, "I- I'm kind of from Auris too."
"Kind of?"
"I- I mean I am!" Zane squeaked out, slightly surprised at the highness of his voice and the slight voice crack that came with it. ('Seriously, what couldn't this disguise do?' he pondered.)
"Oh," Nairn replied, looking over Zane thoughtfully through a curly silver and black mop of hair. Okay, so maybe he should have seen the connection sooner, but when he shines those puppy-dog eyes on him, logical thought was swept away like dust under a carpet, "say," The boy continued, "what's your last name?"