Chapter 2

(Here I am, posting a chapter the next day because I'm such an impatient nindroid...)

That night, the ninja could not sleep. The sound of duvet covers rustling could be heard at all hours and the ninja, excluding Zane and Lloyd, were tired of waiting for answers.
At five o'clock in the morning, the ninja finally reached their breaking point and decided to wake up and question the two sleeping blondes, but to their dismay, the ninja realised neither of them were in their beds.
"They must have snuck out while we were sleeping!" Jay piped up.
"Sleeping?" Cole questioned, "I don't think any of us slept a wink!"
"Well, I'm not waiting for the coach to put me in, I'm gonna go and find them." Kai said as he pulled down his hood and rushed out the door.
"Wait a second," Jay said looking down at his own attire, "how is he in his gi? We just got out of bed, does that mean," Jay gulped and a look of horror flashed across his face, he looked to the door and shivered dramatically, "he sleeps in his ninja suit?! That's disgusting!"
Cole nodded his head in agreement while slipping on his own gi, "Let's go find those troublemakers."
"We've been walking for so long!" Jay cried out, collapsing on the dry mud path that Kai, Cole and himself were currently traversing over, they were currently walking through a forest a few miles out of Ninjago City, "Please say we're almost there, It's been so long since I've seen the bounty, let alone sensei and Zane and Lloyd and then I haven't seen my family in ages plus I haven't eaten since we left the monastery and I haven't taken a shower since-"
"Jay," Kai growled, "If you don't shut your mouth right now you'll never eat again!"
Jay looked shellshocked, "But- I can't- How long have we-"
"Been walking for?" Cole finished helpfully.
"Yes"
Cole looked at his wristwatch, "fifteen-"
"Hours?"
"No. Minutes, Motormouth."
Kai snickered at Cole's nickname for Jay but the laughter died down when another, slightly muffled voice was heard from a distance, "Quick, hide!" Kai whisper-shouted and the ninja jumped into a nearby bush.
"-on't have to worry, that's all behind us now." One voice spoke softly.
Another voice spoke up, but this voice wasn't soft, it sounded so full of pain and agony and sadness, like it was on the verge of breaking down and crumbling away, "Please, do not say it is all behind us. Putting it 'behind me' is what I've been doing and it's just making everything worse, so do not, under any circumstances, ask me 'not to worry'" the second voice barked.
Cole, Kai and Jay looked at each other, bewildered. They had no idea who these voices came from and what they were talking about, but the pain in their voices made the ninja's hearts crack.
But nothing could compare to the heartbreak they felt when they saw who the two voices belonged to.
Two silhouettes of two blondes appeared from behind some undergrowth, one was trying to comfort the other, whispering condolences in the other crying boy's ear.
"What's got Lloyd so upset?" Cole asked quietly, the two ninja shrugged their shoulders.
The two blondes walked closer and their figures became clear. It wasn't Lloyd crying - It was Zane.

—————

"Zane," Lloyd repeated, "Try to cheer up, if putting the past behind you doesn't work, you will have to just accept what happened and move on."
"H-how can I simply move on? I did such terrible things-"
"But that wasn't-"
"Lloyd, it was me. These hands," Zane indicated to his smooth titanium palms, "are the same hands t-t-that...that-" Zane broke off as he tried to prevent himself from bawling in front of the almighty green ninja, but to no avail.
Zane collapsed onto his knees, the morning sunlight that had infiltrated through the canopy of green leaves reflecting off his silver skin and making his tears glisten like diamonds. The breeze stroked its' cool fingers through his scruffy hair, trying to offer comfort, and the leaves that littered the floor twirled and danced together, wearing vibrant shades of orange, green and red as the leaves leapt through the air.
Despite the comfort nature was giving to him, Zane was just reminded how he was the complete opposite; he was just a copy of a living being, an abomination to the natural world. When he died - if it were possible that he could - he would not decompose and become one with the elements, he would remain whole, gradually becoming covered in leaves and mud and becoming buried under the ground. His body would still be underneath the soil for centuries to come, alone, with no afterlife to go to and accompany his brethren. And it scared Zane so very much.
The nindroid began to hiccup as he attempted to suppress the sobs and he looked up to Lloyd,
"C-can we g-g-go home now-w?" He asked shakily.
Lloyd still looked slightly concerned, but he nodded in agreement after a moment or two.
Lloyd gave Zane a hand and pulled him onto his feet, Zane stumbled momentarily before straightening himself up.
He produced a small comb with which he ran through his bedraggled platinum hair and then did the same for Lloyd's hair. He then straightened out the creases in his uniform and acquired a blank expression and his voice became slightly more monotonous as he began conversing everyday topics with the green ninja.
Kai, Jay and Cole were still quite flabbergasted, and eventually Cole spoke up first,
"How in Ninjago could they do that," he said indicating with his hands where the scene had gone down, "and then carry on like nothing had happened?"
Kai shook his head, "Not a clue, Dirt Clod, but if we want to make them think we weren't eavesdropping, we better-"
"We need to get back to the monastery - fast" Jay nodded, finishing off Kai's sentence and leaping out from the bush they were currently residing in.
The three ran at full pelt back to the monastery, trying to avoid the two blondes at any cost.
"Ya know maybe this wasn't such a good idea!" Jay shrieked as he clung onto Cole for his dear life, they were currently traversing up the cliff side to get to the Monastery. It seemed reckless and pointless, but it was worth it if it meant Zane and Lloyd wouldn't try to murder them for eavesdropping on their conversation, 'Or maybe just Lloyd, Zane isn't really one to harm people' Jay contemplated inwardly.
Zane, harming people?
If only they knew.