March 2021 | The Lady with the Lamp

Title: Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp 

(Korean title: 외과 의사 엘리제 / 외과의사 엘리제)

Genre: Historical romance

Duration: 143 chapters (completed)

Type: Manhwa

Synopsis: Dr. Song, the youngest professor at the leading College of Medicine in Korea, was a royal brat of a princess in her previous life. But just as she's about to meet an untimely death over the ocean, she wakes up as Princess Elise once again?! Enlightened with the medical knowledge of a master surgeon, is this her chance to mend her past relationships and heal an ailing empire, or is fate sealed to repeat itself?

Reasons for Recommendation: The main character, Elise, like many of us, made some mistakes in the past. When she returns to the past, she decides to do things differently to change her horrible fate. Elise is a relatable character who has learned from her mistakes and become what we all hope to be: a better person. There's nothing better than a villainess earning the redemption they deserve.

This comic introduces new concepts of medicine to the past, creating a thrilling medical drama while weaving romantic comedy aspects into the narrative. Each medical scene has been delicately thought out, providing more detail than a reader can imagine. If you're not into bloody or graphic scenes, don't worry! The author has been thoughtful with censoring the panels revolving around surgical procedures or tests.

Another thing that makes this comic so enjoyable is the slow building romantic development between Elise and Linden. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing the love interest open himself to loving Elise as he learns more and more about her changed personality. Linden is also one of those leads who is willing to shoulder whatever burdens Elise faces and help her in any way he can.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

If you enjoyed this recommendation, let us know in the comments!

What sounded interesting? What didn't work for you?

Remember, if you have any recommendations, head on over to the Information chapter and check out the submission guidelines. Until next month!