January 2024 | Eleceed

Media Review written by: dj_thecrazycatlady

Title: Eleceed (일렉시드)

Author/Artist: Son Jeho and ZHENA

Genre: Action & Fantasy

Type: Manhwa (Korean comic)

Episodes: 244+ (On Webtoons, some of the episodes are locked behind a paywall until release, this is known as 'fast-pass')

This review might contain mild spoilers!

Synopsis: Jiwoo is a kind-hearted young man who harnesses the lightning-quick reflexes of a cat to secretly make the world a better place – one saved little child or foster pet at a time. Kayden is a secret agent on the run, who finds himself stuck in the body of a...um...decidedly fat old fluffy cat. Together, armed with Jiwoo's superpowers and Kayden's uber-smarts, they're out to fight those forces who would let evil rule this world. That is, if they can stand each other long enough to get the job done. (synopsis shared from WEBTOON)

Reasons for Recommendation:

THE ART: 10/10

ZHENA is an artist of magnificent skill. Her ability to create the gorgeous, the menacing, and the adorable is truly outstanding. From the very first episode of Eleceed, ZHENA showed such amazing talent when bringing Jeho's and her characters to life. As most artists do, you can see progress and improvement upon improvement overtime as ZHENA's skills grew.

(Pictured above is protagonist Seo Jiwoo showcasing his electrical/speed-based ability)

QUICK FUN FACT ABOUT ELECEED: The title stems from the words 'electricity' and 'speed'

THE STORY: 10/10

The creator of Eleceed is Son Jeho. Son created an 'urban' style world based on our own with the inclusion of the fantastical superpowered humans. Going off what the synopsis says (to avoid providing spoilers) there's what to expect while reading:

An extremely likable protagonist named Jiwoo whose heart is literally made of gold (OKAY. Not literally made of gold but figuratively)

Cats. Just cats. (I'm a cat person. ZHENA is a cat person. I don't know about Mr. Son but there are cats and that's all I'll say.)

If you'd like a little 'eye-candy' then there's Kayden. Gorgeous man. OP. In other words; he's hot and talented.

Example: JUST KIDDING! You've got to check out Eleceed in order to catch a glimpse of that talented man! <3

Good feels. Jiwoo's goal in life is to make the world a better place. He uses his powers for good under the strict tutelage of Kayden to slowly make the world a better place. Brilliant.

THE CHARACTERS: 5/5

Seo Jiwoo - is the protagonist of the manhwa, Eleceed. He is the only disciple of Kayden and the second person to have the ability of Electrokinesis, though his main ability is Super Speed. He is an independent awakener and has attended the Awakened Academy with a sponsorship from the Shinhwa Association.

Kayden Break - is the deuteragonist. He is notorious as one of the strongest unaffiliated awakeners who challenge the strong. Due to being heavily injured and needing to hide as he healed, he was forced to transform into a cat and could only maintain his human form by spending his energy.

His main ability is Electrokinesis, though he can also transform into a cat and use Spatial Isolation. Currently, Kayden lives with Jiwoo as he recovers his power and energy. He is currently training Jiwoo.

Wooin - is one of the main characters. He was Dr. Delein's student, though after his arrest, he is placed under the custody of the Awakened Union and is a classmate of Jiwoo Seo. His main ability is Telekinesis. He is an independent awakener and has attended the Awakened Academy with the recommendation from the Awakened Union.

Jisuk Yoo - is one of the main characters. He is the younger brother of Jiyoung Yoo, the head of Shinhwa Association. He is one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful, awakened person in his age group in South Korea. There are only 3 other teenage awakeners in Korea that are able to rival him, adding Wooin as well. His main ability is Aerokinesis. He has attended the Awakened Academy as a representative of Shinhwa Association.

Subin Lee - is one of the main characters. She is the granddaughter of the head of Awakened Union. She is one of the most powerful awakened people in her age group in South Korea which is on par with Jisuk Yoo. Her main ability is Cryokinesis. She had attended the Awakened Academy as a student representative of the Awakened Union.

Jiyoung Yoo - is a supporting character. She is the older sister of Jisuk Yoo and the chairwoman of Shinhwa Association, an organization made up of Awakened that reside over the territory where Jiwoo lives. Her main ability is Aerokinesis, and she is one of the few Awakeners who can use Spacial Isolation. She is the current Rank #1 in Korea among the Awakened.

WHERE TO READ ELECEED: It can be found on Naver (in Korean) and WEBTOON (in English). It's updated every Tuesday.