June 2022 | Wicked Fox

Title: The Wicked Fox

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy

Pages: 464

Type: Book

Synopsis: Eighteen-year-old Gu Miyoung has a secret–she's a gumiho, a nine-tailed fox who must devour the energy of men in order to survive. Because so few believe in the old tales anymore, and with so many evil men no one will miss, the modern city of Seoul is the perfect place to hide and hunt.

But after feeding one full moon, Miyoung crosses paths with Jihoon, a human boy, being attacked by a goblin deep in the forest. Against her better judgment, she violates the rules of survival to rescue the boy, losing her fox bead–her gumiho soul–in the process.

Jihoon knows Miyoung is more than just a beautiful girl–he saw her nine tails the night she saved his life. His grandmother used to tell him stories of the gumiho, of their power and the danger they pose to men. He's drawn to her anyway.

With murderous forces lurking in the background, Miyoung and Jihoon develop a tenuous friendship that blossoms into something more. But when a young shaman tries to reunite Miyoung with her bead, the consequences are disastrous and reignite a generations-old feud . . . forcing Miyoung to choose between her immortal life and Jihoon's.

Reason for Recommendation:

The Wicked Fox is author Kat Cho's debut novel but it speaks volumes about her linguistic sense. The story revolves around friendship, love, sacrifice, bravery, and of course, life. The novel takes place in Seoul, South Korea and navigates the myth about the Gumiho — the nine tailed fox. The Gumiho is one of the legends discussed in Korean mythology, a topic that we don't see represented much in the Asian Fantasy genre.

The complementary personalities of Jihoon and Miyoung were ideal. Jihoon was amiable and devoted, whilst Miyoung was feisty and reclusive, but they both developed into incredible characters over the course of the book. They both overcome their prior traumas and challenging upbringings to find hope within the chaos of their lives.

The first third of the book did a great job of setting up the characters, and the remaining two thirds of the book were packed with action, adventure, and drama, making it an excellent page-turner. It's amazing that this is Kat Cho's debut novel because her writing was exquisite and charming! It never gets boring and is strikingly beautiful. This book is for you if you enjoy gorgeous romances, epic legends, and fascinating fantasy.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

If you enjoyed this recommendation, let us know in the comments!

What sounded interesting? What didn't work for you?

Remember: if you have any recommendations, head on over to the Information chapter and check out the submission guidelines. Next month, we'll be introducing media from areas outside of East and Southeast Asia!

Until next month!