January 2023 | Baahubali

Title - Baahubali

Title - Baahubali

Genre - Fantasy/ Historical Fiction

Duration - 2 parts, 2 hours 50 minutes (approximately) per part

Type - Movie

Synopsis

Baahubali 1: The Beginning (2015) is basically about Shivdu, a tribal warrior boy learning his past and awaiting his fate. The story takes place in and around the fictional Mahishmati Kingdom. Against the backdrop of a majestic waterfall, an old but dignified woman Sivagami desperately tries to save her baby from several attacking soldiers, but she dies. A tribal chief and his wife Sanga adopt this little boy as their son. Shivudu, the child who grows up to be a free-spirited mountain explorer who wants to discover his roots and the meaning of his existence, finds up battling the powerful Bhallala Deva. And what is Kattappa's astonishing answer to Shivdu's question of who killed his father Amarendra Baahubali?

Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) - Kattappa narrates the story of Amarendra Baahubali to Shivudu, who learns his lineage as the prince of Mahishmati and the son of Amarendra Baahubali. Shivudu, now Mahendra Baahubali, dethrones and punishes Bhallaladeva for all wrongdoings of his past with the help of Kattappa.

Reasons for Recommendation

Cover: 5/5

The movie poster is absolutely magical! It gives a powerful introduction to the concept of the story and perfectly matches the movie aesthetic which revolves around the kid and waterfalls.

Characters: 4/5 (Contains spoilers)

Amaresh Baahubali

Mahishmati is where Maharaja Vikramdeva's son Amarendra Baahubali was born. During his mother's labor, she passed away. His aunt Rajamatha Sivagami, who later served as his foster mother, gave him the name "Baahubali". After he won a competition to protect the empire from the Kalakeya invasion, she acknowledged his leadership abilities and named him the new king.

He is an expert warrior who excels at using the battleaxe beside his sword and arrows. He can fire three arrows on a single string. He has strong tactical abilities, which came in handy in the conflict with the Pindari tribe.

Mahendra Bahubali

Mahendra Baahubali was born in Mahishmati on the day that his mother Devasena was kidnapped by Bhallaladeva and his father Amarendra Baahubali was killed by Kattappa. Later, Sivagami leaves the castle with him to escape Bhallaladeva and sacrifices herself to save him. Sanga and her husband later locate the child, who belongs to a tribe that lives outside the kingdom. As their own child, the couple raises him. Years later, Mahendra scales the waterfall and eventually arrives in Mahishmati. Amarendra and Mahendra Baahubali are virtually identical.

Devasena

Devasena, princess of Kuntala Kingdom, is an excellent archer and fighter. While visiting the Kuntala kingdom, Amarendra Baahubali develops feelings for her. Devasena feels the same way about him.She is courageous, bold, and firmly convinced of her decisions. Her martial skills were developed through a lot of hard work. Devasena, who is now in love with Baahubali, declines Bhallaladeva's marriage proposal and picks Baahubali instead.

Avanthika

A member of the rebel group and a skilled fighter, Avanthika. As she learns that Mahendra Baahubali climbed the waterfall mountain specifically for her, she falls in love with him and later accepts him. She devotes her life as a guerilla fighter to the single goal of freeing Devasena from Bhallaladeva's captivity in Mahishmati. She is disobedient and a valiant warrior who stands up for the right. She is a strong and independent character who makes her own decisions.

Bhallaladeva

The main antagonist of the story and the ruler of Mahishmati. He is Amarendra Bahubali's older cousin-brother, the only child of Sivagami and Bijjaladeva, and a well-known fighter. Amarendra Baahubali is something he envies. When he becomes King, he relieves Amarendra of his official duties and later persuades Sivagami that Amarendra is attempting to kill him. Devasena is taken as a prisoner by Bhallaladeva, who frequently teases her while she is held hostage.

Kattappa

The capital guards and the King's personal bodyguard are under the command of Kattappa. Despite being a very skilled warrior, he is a lifelong servant of the Crown of Mahishmati.After saving the lives of Bijjaladeva and Mahadeva, the incumbent king, Somadeva, appointed him as the royal bodyguard of Bijjaladeva. The then-rulers Sivagami and Bhallaladeva gave him the order to kill Baahubali. Upon realizing he had been duped, he kills Amarendra Baahubali on the royals' orders. He wanted to rescue Devasena from Bhallaladeva's grasp after Amarendra died, but she refused. After meeting Shivudu, he rose up in revolt against Bhallaladeva's rule, led by the latter.

Plot: 4/5 (Contains spoilers)

This is a movie that leaves a great visual impression. It never gets boring, everything about this film is good - story, direction, beautiful cinematography, haunting score and amazing visuals, the quality of the graphic work is very good. Part 1 is a fantastic movie and ends with a nice climax which keeps you guessing the 2nd half story.

Part 2 was one of the most awaited movies in history which solved the mystery of "why did Kattapa kill Baahubali?" which had been a big question for 2 years. Overall, there are plenty of dramatic, emotionally impactful, goosebumps-inducing moments that keep you hooked on the movie.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

If you enjoyed this recommendation, let us know in the comments!

Do you plan to watch this film? Let us know your thoughts if you finish it!

Remember: if you have any recommendations, head on over to the Information chapter and check out the submission guidelines.

Until next month!