April 2022 | My Lovely Girl

Title: My Lovely Girl (Korean: 내겐 너무 사랑스러운 그녀)

Genre: Melodrama, Music, Romance

Duration: 60 minutes per episode; total of 16 episodes

Type: Drama

Synopsis: A man and a woman scared by the death of one. They eat, sleep and sometimes laugh like before but if one thing has changed, even the brief glimpse of happiness they feel in their daily lives is misfortune. These two reach out to each other. And they speak to each other. Telling each other to stop suffering, that it wasn't their fault, and so it's okay to be happy now. They heal their emotional scars, open up their hearts and fall in love again. Through this story, we can see that the thing that gets us up again after a tragedy, the thing that comforts us in the face of a loss of life is people and love. It is a warm and ordinary story.

Reasons for Recommendation:

Cover: 5/5 - The cover poster's color scheme seems to hint the melodramatic vibes but seeing two K-Pop idols on the cover is what captured our attention. We've never seen these two act together, so that's what made us want to see it. We also found the tint quite aesthetic!

Characters: 5/5

Lee Hyun Wook: Rain, a well-known K-Pop idol, plays the male lead, Lee Hyun Wook. In this drama, he is known as the composer and producer of a popular entertainment company. What we love about this character is that Rain, a great musician, was casted for this role and it seems pretty perfect for him! Known as "Ahjussi" to the female lead, he proves to be comical and fun, despite the age  gap between the characters. When he discovers the woman he's interested in is his beloved girlfriend's sister, his heart is in turmoil. He finds himself falling in love with his dead girlfriend's younger sister, but he doesn't think he deserves to be with her because of how things ended with his dead girlfriend. A tragic car accident leaves him unable to compose music like before, but little by little, we see him start to recover his abilities. Rain portrays the character in a cool way that makes it easy to root for him to get better and rediscover his love for music.

Yoon Se Na: Krystal Jung, a member of f(x), plays the female lead, Yoon Se Na. In this drama, she tries to live in a world without her older sister. Music is her life, as her sister taught her to love it. For most of the drama, we see Yoon Se Na pretty sad about the loss of her sister, but she uses music to express her grief, leading to the creation of songs that really hit our heartstrings! Her cluelessness may make her frustrating to accept, but that's what makes dramas!

Shi Woo: Shi Woo is the final person in the love triangle, played by INFINITE member, Kim Myung Soo, better known as L. If you watch the drama or have seen it already, you already know former INFINITE member, Hoya, is also in this! Together, they clash as group members, as Shi Woo is ostracized by Hoya's character and other members in the group. They eventually disband and Shi Woo is forced to pick up the pieces of his shattered life and show his former team members that he can make it on his own. His character has a colder personality, acting entitled and grumpy now and then, but his interactions with Yoon Se Na make him a soft character, not wanting to see her upset. He becomes one of her good friends, and we can't hate him for that!

Plot: 3.5/5 - The story is good, but the ending felt a bit rushed. We really like this drama because of the feature of many K-Pop idols and the beautiful soundtrack that was specially put together for this drama. If you want to see some of your favorite idols and love dramas with music as its focus, this is the drama for you!

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

If you enjoyed this recommendation, let us know in the comments!

What sounded interesting? What didn't work for you?

Remember: if you have any recommendations, head on over to the Information chapter and check out the submission guidelines. Next month, we'll be introducing media from areas outside of East and Southeast Asia!

Until next month!