Chapter 3: Revelations and Pitfalls part 2

(Sorry! This is so late!)

The MBC were fighting with Iku and Tezuka when a new player entered, and she seems to be intending trouble for our young librarians! What does she want? and will someone have to die for her to get it?

The girl releases me, but at the same time, she throws the blade at the news reporter. Luckily, Tezuka had been looking out for a double-cross and launched himself at the young woman, landing on top of her. His body hunches protectively, and I feel something, odd and unfamiliar, something dangerous. The young reporter blushes. I spot the desk girls staring at her in jealousy. Well, it looked like Tezuka had his own share of fans.

Tezuka swings the reporter in his arms, gestures to the cameraman, and runs to a safe place, setting her down gently. He says something to her and then returns to me. He stops beside me and asks the newcomer, "What do you want?"

The woman purses her red lips, long black hair swaying and blue eyes glimmering. She's long and curvy, with a wide waist, and a long, diamond shaped face. "Well, I want a well-trained human or two. More specifically, you two."

Tezuka steps in front of me, perhaps out of instinct. Nervously, I edge to where I can see the woman. "Why? What are your motives."

The woman leans in, "Science ..."

"What?" I ask, incredulous.

"It's simple. I want to use you two for my experiments and the MBC will help me get you."

"No," Tezuka says. "We have a duty to the Library, and we have a duty to the people to allow them to read what they want. We cannot abandon that duty, especially not for experiments. Now, I demand that you and your MBC friends leave the building."

"Fine." She says, "but you're leaving with us."

She raises Tezuka's gun, aiming it at me. She fires. I close my eyes, bracing for the impact.

But it never comes.

I open my eyes to see. Tezuka's back fills the space inches from my nose. Right where the bullet was coming to hit me. Vaguely I notice how broad his shoulders were. He barks instructions to me, and to the bystanders. I can't hear.

"Tezuka ..." a hoarse voice whispers. I realize that it was my own. My voice.

Tezuka looks over his shoulder, face more pale. "We ... have ... to ... deal with ... them. First ... priority. I'm ... fine."

I shake my head, "No, you're not."

"It ... doesn't ... matter ... anyway. Take them ... down, Iku, ... for me." He turns back, facing the MBC agents. "Like we did ... on the ... first day."

"Got it." I squash down all worry. We had a mission to complete.

I run towards the first guard. As he turns to me, I leap up. My foot connects to his face, sending him reeling. I lean down and snatch his gun. Beside me, Tezuka grabs one from his own guard, dispatched by a fist to his face. Tezuka raises the body as a shield, dropping him off outside by his MBC car.

Tezuka would work as clean-up, firing his gun occasionally to help me dispatch enemies.

Me, on the other hand, would be more hands-on.

I hold the gun away from me, the nozzle pointed at the ground. Taking in two deep breaths first, I sprint towards my next opponent.

I reach him in fast speeds and dispatch him by punching him once in the chin. The speed causes my punch to land harder than it would otherwise, and he drops. I quickly turn, run and jump, raising my arms to shoulder height and pulling in my knees. I reach the full height of my jump and push push push my legs out to collide with a soldier's face. He goes down.

The other MBC agents gather the men Tezuka couldn't grab and run out. I stand up, dusting off my hands. Victory.

I turn to Tezuka to say something smug and gasp.

Because Tezuka's mouth was covered in blood as if he coughed it up. His wound is in the chest. Not high enough for him to be safe, but not low enough that he'd die immediately. But that is not all that is troubling.

Because Tezuka's breathing is shallow and weak. The blood from his chest stains his green uniform. He grips the wound, struggling to stand.

Because Tezuka's knees are on the ground. His left arm supports his upper body weight, threatening to collapse. His words too weak to be heard, he whispers something urgent.

Because behind Tezuka is the woman who shot him, her gun aimed at the back of Tezuka's head.

I lower my head in defeat. If Tezuka's life was at stake, I couldn't risk it.