Chapter 2: Old Memories part 1

In the previous chapter, Tezuka Hikaru and Iku Kasahara agreed to a strange new mission. What would this new job mean for Iku and Tezuka?

Tezuka Hikaru

Iku Kasahara and I have been on this job for three weeks. It's been ... fun. I don't know how to tell her, but she's been doing well.

At first, the media hated us, saying we were doomed. In three weeks, however, we proved them wrong. We, just the two of us, held our own against hordes of enemies, sent to attack books from bookstores. Iku held her own, despite her inability to aim. Due to that barrier, Iku engaged in hand-to-hand combat while I covered her with gunfire.

The two of us were waiting for a call, and at that time, we were reading books. Of course. "I- Kasahara," I begin, "Are you sure you don't want my help? We could practice with weapons, hand-to-hand combat, or we could learn the protocol and history of the Library Wars?"

Iku scowls, "Yes! I can do fine on my own!"

"Sure, you can do fine, but you can also do better!"

"Oh, so you think I'm not good enough, huh?"

I grit my teeth, "I'm not taking Dojo's place as your personal tongue sharpener! Argue elsewhere!"

"Just answer the question!" Iku glares at me, "Do you think I'm good enough for this job?"

"I think that you have the potential to become amazing at this!" I explode, "But you also have much more to learn!"

"Why is it so important that I learn?" Iku asks, irritated.

I grab her by the shoulders, "Because if you don't, you'll die. I don't want you to die."

With that, I let her go. Iku's face changes to scarlet, "W-why not? I thought you didn't like me."

I hesitate. Emotions swirl where I can't reach them. I can't grab hold to say what they mean. "You're my friend. That's why I care about you."

Her face looks disappointed, but I grab my book and head for my hotel room. She'll never know, but what I said was a lie. I knew it the moment I tasted those words on my tongue.