Chapter 2: Old Memories part 2

Okay, I think this chapter is cringeworthy. Read at your own risk.

Now Iku and Tezuka have a new job, allowing Tezuka some time to reflect. What will come of this, and will the peaceful times continue? Find out!

Tezuka Hikaru

With that, I let her go. Iku's face changes to scarlet, "W-why not? I thought you didn't like me."

I hesitate. Emotions swirl where I can't reach them. I can't grab hold to say what they mean. "You're my friend. That's why I care about you."

Her face looks disappointed, but I grab my book and head for my hotel room. She'll never know, but what I said was a lie. I knew it the moment I tasted those words on my tongue.

But if I didn't care for her as a friend, why was I so concerned about her safety? I thought I had gotten over my crush on her by meditating and using logic to explain why not to date her.

I thought I had gotten over it the day I spoke to Dojo ...

(Years ago ...)

I wince as Iku says she needs more time. "Is there someone else?" My voice sounds flat and disinterested.

Iku denies it, but I can see in her eyes that she is thinking of someone. Dojo ...

I shrug and turn away. Did she like Dojo? I wonder. I walk over to him, careful to make sure Iku is out of earshot. "You like Iku, don't you?"

"Wha-?" Dojo startles, looking almost comical with the way he jumps and turns, "I don't know what you're talking about, I-"

That was all I needed to hear. "I'll get out of your way, sir." I leave, wondering if he caught the double meaning ...

(Now ...)

I set things up to keep from getting into a relationship with her, from insinuating that I was jealous of her, all the way to when I gave a bad reason for going on a date with her. I don't know if Dojo had any clue.

I had to stop liking her.

At that thought, she rushes towards me. I startle. "What?"

"The alarm!" She says in a rush, "Let's go!"

I nod and follow, cursing myself for allowing my affection for Iku to get in the way of our work.

We reach the nearby library in almost no time at all. The MBC agents stand in front of the library, harassing some desk workers, all of whom are female.

"Halt!" Iku shouts, standing between the MBC agents and the desk workers. "I'm Agent Kasahara. Now, we can do this the easy way or the hard way,"

I notice a cameraman and news reporter out of the corner of my eye. I ignore them. From the MBC Agent's stance and demeanor, he has yet to see it. "Yeah, right! We're here to collect those books. Besides, we're more than enough to take just two library agents!"

"Even if you must try to collect them, note the word 'try', it is unnecessary to harass the non-combatant staff." I'm acutely aware of Iku squinting at me. I glance at her but make no signals as to what I was doing. Iku's facial expressions were the opposite of subtle; the MBC agents would notice the camera too soon. "Molesting women is a new low, even for the MBC,"