Chapter 1: A New Job part 2

I just realized that I set this in America. I'm sorry. This is one of the first manga/anime I've read, so ... pretend?

Ah, well. I suppose just roll with it. Disclaimer: I don't know the characters very well (it's been a while) and I don't have an in-depth understanding of politics. Enjoy.

In our last episo- posted part, Iku Kasahara and Hikaru Tezuka were offered a job by the president while standing guard. They didn't immediately take it and now they're going to speak to their boss and decide whether or not to take the job in a more official capacity.

Iku Kasahara

Tezuka relaxes, at least as relaxed as Tezuka can be. "Let's go,"

I nod, scrambling to keep up. As soon as I get my bearings, I begin to walk at the same pace as him. "What do you think about what that guy said?"

"That 'guy' is the president." Tezuka reprimands me. He sighs. "And I think that things won't work out the way he thinks."

"How so?" I ask. The President seemed nice enough. I was unsure as to why Tezuka was so cautious.

"Our enemies won't like it." Tezuka comments, seemingly bored. "They will do whatever possible to cause us to be disreputable and to get us out of the way."

I frown, mulling that over. It was true that our opposing forces would do whatever possible to keep a task force like what the President said from becoming a reality. "We'll just have to work extra hard."

Tezuka nods. "That means extra training. Try to keep up."

"Hey!" I frown at him. "I'm great at training."

"Yes, but you could be better. I could help, if you want." He looks at me with what appears to be apprehension.

Huh? "W-what do you mean?" I stammer.

"I mean I can help you improve. You're going to need to be in top shape for our assignment. If the President got the approval he needed. It sounds like we might be one of the only people working on this. You and I will both need to be at the top of our game."

"I thought that was what Sergeant Dojo was for," I comment, annoyed.

Tezuka says no more on the matter and we quickly reach the office.

Commander Inamine stands in the middle of the office with the President on his side. Tezuka immediately salutes and stands at attention. I quickly follow his example.

"First off, lose the formality." President Akamada grins. "I always liked to read, and I've long thought that people should have the right to choose what they read. I have decided to make a new task force to protect books everywhere. Unfortunately, I've only gotten clearance to assign two people to this task force. I wanted your whole team, but in the end, I chose you two."

"Why us?" I blurt.

"Because you are so different!" President Akamada exclaims. "The one who works hard and the one with gut instincts. The two of you would work well for the fighting involved, but you also have a P.R. aspect that no other person in the library forces has. Iku Kasahara is the perfect person to capture people's hearts, with her passion and friendliness. Hikaru Tezuka is the epitome of a hard-working soldier, one who will reflect well on the whole program. Additionally, that incident with the children's group a few years back made you two perfect people. Passionate, good with children, and hard-working. That's why you two are the ones I picked, even if there are better, stronger, and older operatives available. I came here to talk to Commander Inamine about it and he agreed."

Hope you enjoyed!