Chapter 1: A New Job part 3

I'm updating early because I do not know if I'll get the chance on Saturday.

The last time I updated, the President tried to convince Iku Kasahara and Hikaru Tezuka to join the new task force. Will Iku and Hikaru agree? Are the chapter name and the blurb going to be accurate and reveal all the secrets, because it makes it sound like Iku and Hikaru are going to say yes? Let's see.

Iku Kasahara

"Why us?" I blurt.

"Because you are so different!" President Akamada exclaims. "The one who works hard and the one with gut instincts. The two of you would work well for the fighting involved, but you also have a P.R. aspect that no other person in the library forces has. Iku Kasahara is the perfect person to capture people's hearts, with her passion and friendliness. Hikaru Tezuka is the epitome of a hard-working soldier, one who will reflect well on the whole program. Additionally, that incident with the children's group a few years back made you two perfect people. Passionate, good with children, and hard-working. That's why you two are the ones I picked, even if there are better, stronger, and older operatives available. I came here to talk to Commander Inamine about it and he agreed."

Commander Inamine smiles, sadly. "You two are prodigies. But I must warn you, President Akamada hasn't managed to dissolve the task force involved with censoring books. They will be hard-pressed to destroy you. Work hard, not to reflect well on the team, or the libraries, or even our mission. Work hard to keep from being killed."

A chill settles into my bones. "And it's just the two of us?"

"Yes," Commander Inamine nods. "You will be traveling a lot, but you will still be here often. Don't worry about not being able to see Sergeant Dojo. You'll have the chance to see him."

"Thank you, sirs, for this opportunity. Corporal Kasahara and I will consider it. Please allow us a moment to discuss."

I blink, but Tezuka grabs my arm and pulls me out of the room. "Hey! What's with this? Tezuka, I can handle it! Why do we need to-"

Tezuka cuts me off, "I know you can handle the fighting and the P.R. and everything else this job requires, except perhaps three things." He holds up two fingers, ticking them off as he talks, "One, your parents will worry. Two, you won't get to spend time with your boyfriend. Three, you will spend all that time with me." He leans forward, "And only me."

I suddenly notice how close Tezuka is to me. "Um ... Tezuka, could you maybe give me some more room."

Tezuka immediately backs off. "I apologize. I will be joining, what about you?"

I hesitate for a moment, staring at Tezuka. If I had to spend that much time with someone, I would have chosen Dojo, but Tezuka would do. I wasn't considering this for either of them anyway. My decision was based on my own desires. "I will!" I hold out my hand, "Partners?"

Tezuka hesitates before grabbing my hand and shaking it. "Partners."

We walk back into the room, ready to accept our fate.

Alright, so that concludes the first chapter! Hope you enjoyed it!