Blue Moon

"Hey, hey. David, what's going on?" I approached the hairy male, who had Ethan and Benny in a headlock.

He pushed both of them toward me with a grunt. "All right. Listen up, geeks. From now on, we're best buds, got it?" David questioned.

"Yeah, yeah. Yeah, we got it. Wait. What?" Ethan asked, confused.

"Yeah! Awesome. Best buds forever. Yeah, totally cool. Headlocks are like jock hugs," Benny explained.

"Awesome. See you around, Bro One and Bro Two! Bye, girly!" He punched Ethan and Benny's shoulders and winked at me before walking away.

"That... was awesome!" Benny exclaimed.

"Which part? The love tap, or the part where I could taste his deodorant?" Ethan questioned.

"I mean the part where we're friends with David Stachowski. Our street cred just went through the roof!" Benny said confidently.

"Why would a guy like him want to friend up with us?" Ethan questioned.

"Well, the only thing I could think of is that he thinks (Y/n) is hot," Benny said quietly. He then shook his head. "Ethan, don't look a gifted jock in the mouth. In fact, don't make eye contact at all." Benny advised. He looked at a girl walking past him. "Hey, wanna go out? I've got the David Stachowski seal of approval."

"Drop dead," the girl scoffed.

"See? She spoke to me. That never happened pre-headlock!" Benny stated.

"There's something about that guy..." Ethan trailed off.

"You mean other than the fact that he's huge and popular and awesome?" Benny asked. He pulled out something from his hair. "Is... is that a flea? Tell me I don't have fleas."

"That's a flea," I confirmed. "I just don't like the looks of him."

~~~

"Come on," Ethan said, pushing on the vending machine glass.

Sarah punched the glass and all the snacks fell out of the vending machine. I looked at her curiously as I picked up a chocolate bar.

"Is that one of your fledgling powers?" Ethan asked.

"Not a power. Just a perk," Sarah explained. "So, where's your new jock BFF?" Sarah asked, sitting down with us on the lounging chairs.

"Something's weird," Ethan said as I placed my head on his shoulder. "It's like the lions had started hanging out with the zebras."

"Who's got two thumbs, three free candy bars, and is best buds with Dave Stachowski?" Benny asked proudly. "That's right. This guy."

"I, uh, see what you mean," Sarah pointed at Benny.

"It gets worse. It's like he's inserted himself into my life," Ethan continued.

"So he eats all your food. Not enough to break up a good bromance," Sarah pinched his cheek teasingly.

He swatted it away. "There's more. The guy howls."

"Woo hoo! Free candy bar!" David howled.

"A lot of dudes howl. It's a... it's a jock animal thing," Benny reasoned.

"I can't be the only one who's noticed how hairy he is," Ethan added.

"So he's hairy. A lot of guys are hairy. It's a hairy guy thing," Benny reasoned.

"It's basic math: howling plus hair plus this town equals-"

"Awesome," Benny cut Ethan off.

"Werewolf," Ethan corrected him.