Hottie Ho-Tep

"Our young prince Ho-tep died at the tender age of eighteen, but the ancient Egyptians viewed death as merely a journey into another world," Mr. G explained.

"Uh, what's with the ancient supperware?" Ethan asked, raising his hand.

"Oh, you know the expression, "you can't take it with you"? Yeah, well, they didn't. Anyways, uh, this gift-wrapped fellow here was, uh, arranged to marry a pharaoh's daughter. But when he refused because he wasn't in love with her, the pharaoh had him executed," Mr. G continued.

"Bet she had one killer unibrow," Benny snorted as I hid my face in Rory's shoulder to cover my laughter. Sarah punched his arm and I laughed even more. Rory squeezed my hand with a chuckle.

"According to these hieroglyphics, he vowed to never enter the afterlife without his true love," Mr. G read the paper. "It's either that, or these are cleaning instructions."

"Can I make a mummy for extra credit?" Rory piped up.

"Ooh, that wouldn't be encouraged," Mr. G frowned.

"Yes! That wasn't a no," Rory whispered.

"Anyways, guys, that is the end of the tour. But, uh, feel free to stay around as long as you like," Mr. G smiled.

Everyone started to leave. "Or, you could leave, 'cause that's okay too."

Sarah sighed with a smile. "He actually chose death over a life without love. That's so romantic."

"It probably got less romantic when they bottled up his organs," Ethan added.

"And if I'm lucky, one of these jars will have pancreas," Benny said quietly. "I used all my Grandma's ancient pancreas in a potion. I have to top it up before she finds out."

"Gross! What was it for?" Sarah said.

"Wizard stuff," Benny said unsurely. "You wouldn't understand, cover me."

"Okay, but just, make it quick," I hissed.

"You guys are asking for trouble. I don't want any part of this," Sarah said, taking my hand.

"(Y/n)?" Rory said, confused.

"We're just going to check out something else," I assured him as we walked away.

~~~

"Hey, what's up?" I asked, pausing the game while Rory silently whined.

"Remember the mummy?" Benny asked bluntly.

"Sure?" I said, confused.

"He's alive and he's taking Sarah to the underworld," Benny said panickedly.

"And we're saving our own butts again," I sighed. "We'll be right over."

"What's wrong?" Rory asked.

"Well, Benny resurrected a dead mummy and now Sarah is close to Anubis."

~~~

"Thanks for the lift, you two," Ethan said.

"I think I'm going to be Rory-sick," Benny said, climbing out of the cart.

"Halt!" a guard said. "None may disrupt Hottie Ho-tep's journey to the underworld!"

"Especially Sarah's male friend who cannot take a hint," the other said snarkily.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait. First you're trying to take him out, and now you're chaperoning his date?" Benny questioned. "What gives?"

"It is our duty to make sure he returns to the underworld. He is doing so," the first guard said.

We backed up slightly. I was petrified as Rory held me behind him. The guards pointed their spears at us as Benny and Ethan talked panickedly.

"Wait, what is that?" the first guard asked.

"It is as though two stars have fallen from the heavens and are-"

They were cut off by being run over, leaving only their shoes. I clutched onto Rory tightly, still in shock of what had happened.

"We showed them," Benny said after a moment.

~~~

"Sarah, no!" Ethan and I shouted.

"Seriously, guys?" Sarah hissed.

"Sarah, if you drink that death juice, it's a one-way ticket to the underworld," I said warningly.

"Hottie, is that true?" Sarah asked the man.

"My Sarah. Earthly life is but a fleeting dream. A new life awaits," Hottie said.

"Save it for the afterlife. We're done!" Sarah said furiously.

Hottie grabbed her arm. "I will not let you just walk away from destiny."

"Hottie, you're cute. But you're not gonna stay cute if you don't let me go!" Sarah said, hissing at him.

Hottie raised his hand but I stepped in front of Sarah quickly, letting the dome fall over me. My eyes glowed and he stared at me. It had worked.

"Hottie, let go of me," I said calmly, breathing heavily.

"I will let go of you," Hottie said robotically, removing the dome over me.

I sighed in relief and took the hook from his hand before I let go of the glamour. Rory supported me as Hottie lunged at us.

"Headgear, this yours?" Ethan taunted as he held up a jar.

"No, don't-"

Ethan shook it and Hottie weakened. The dome fell Sarah pushed him into the case. I gathered up my strength and went to help her push the door close.

"That was a harsh breakup," Benny said.

"One that will hopefully never happen again," I groaned as Rory rushed to help me stand.

"Hey, hey. Take it easy. I'm taking her home," Rory said.

The three of them nodded and he rushed around my house, making sure I would get my full strength back. He sat at my side patiently as I drank the blood, waiting.

How did I get so lucky?