Interlocked

Hi there! Just here to drop off a reminder if the girl's birthdays in this AU. Yongsun was born in 2000, Byul in 2001 and Wheein and Hyejin in 2002.

Just to avoid any confusions hehe

Wheein was a healthy baby. Born on the 17th of April of 2002, 48 cm high, 2.87 kg. She never met her mother, her having passed away right after giving birth to her. Not that she remembered anything from her childhood except a few flashbacks, and those weren't very pleasant.

Wheein didn't recall how old she was when she came into the hospital. She's told she was around seven, although she didn't really remember anything but the hospital. She had no idea where her grandmother was, or who was even paying for her stay.

All she knew about her past is what she saw in her episodes: blood, a man, a knife, a body on the floor. The sequence of the events she saw didn't make sense. Her therapist has asked her several times to try and put the flashbacks in order, but she has never been able to.

She had lived there practically her whole life. She had been taught there, watched people come and go. She never really had friends because most people came in and went out in a matter of months. Until Byulyi came, and stayed.

She wasn't happy that Byul had stayed, because it meant she wasn't getting better, but it was nice not being alone for once.

Then came Hyejin. But with her, it was different. Wheein knew she would be out of there in a few months. Eating disorders usually did. But she never considered Hyejin to be just her friend.

It was a new feeling to her. She had never been attracted to someone, so it was quite scary. Not knowing how to deal with her feelings, she picked the phone up and called the first person she could think of: Kang Haneul.

Haneul had been a nurse at Rainbow Bridge a few years prior to that. She had worked there for almost 20 years, before her daughter was involved in a serious accident and she had to quit to take care of her.

She was Wheein's favorite nurse. The only one who really cared about her, aside from their job. The others did what they had to do, and that was it, but Hangul always went the extra mile for Wheein. She was kind of like a mother to her. Or the only mother figure she had ever had.

When she had to leave, Wheein was devastated. She had one of her worst episodes around that time.

Five years have passed since Kang Haneul left, and since Wheein had felt the loneliest she had ever felt.

Now, Wheein was in the library. Saturdays really were the worst days for her. The librarian didn't work on Saturdays, so she couldn't really take any books. The library was only open for people who wanted to use the computers or for people who just needed to sit in silence and think.

Wheein thought about Haneul on that particular Saturday. Maybe it was because she didn't have Byulyi to keep her company while other people had visits, but she felt almost as lonely as she did when her favorite nurse left.

The worst part was that that was the last time she had seen her. She didn't visit one single time. Sure, she picked up the phone whenever Wheein called, but it just wasn't the same.

"Whee?" Wheein heard from her left. She looked that way and saw Hyejin, a few meters away, keeping a respectful distance. "Hey." She whispered, not wanting to bother anyone else.

"Hey." Wheein responded, pulling out a chair beside her and inviting Hyejin to sit.

"How are you feeling?" Hyejin asked, sitting on the chair on Wheein's left side, but still facing her.