Mockingjay

Yongsun woke up with a pounding headache. Overthinking sometimes did this to her. Looking around the room, she realized it was still dark. The only light in the room was the one coming from the holes in the blinds. It was enough to see Wheein's silhouette on her bed, sleeping soundly.

Looking at the alarm clock on her bedside table, she learned that it was still four o'clock in the morning. So much for a good night's sleep, eh?

A sharp pain shot through her left arm once she tried to lift the covers and get out of bed.

Oh right. She remembered.

Her back cracked when she sat up in bed. It was satisfyingly painful. She had been needing to release some of the pressure from her back, which seemed to always hurt. Her bare feet touched the carpeted floor and she sighed, running a hand through her messy hair, trying to soothe it, along with her thoughts. She needed something for her head.

She stood up. A little bit too quickly. Her vision filled with black dots and her head was fuzzy for a moment, before going back to normal. For a moment she just stood there, in the dark, completely still. Thoughts entering her mind and leaving just as fast. She figured she'd better move, or else Wheein could wake up and get frightened by a dark human shaped shadow standing in their room in the middle of the night.

Yongsun felt abulic and apathetic. Every step she took was heavy, and all she wanted was for that terrible headache to stop and the thoughts to go away.

She never had that. An empty mind, no wandering thoughts. No overthinking whenever her parents were home later than usual, or when she went out to buy groceries. A complete state of ataraxis was all she wanted at the moment. The ability to lie down in complete serenity.

Alas, you can't always get what you want.

Tip toeing, she reached the door, pausing in front of it to think how she could be quiet enough to leave the room without alarming Wheein of her absence. In the two days she had been there, she had already learned that the door squeaked when you opened it too slowly. And so, she grabbed the knob, turning it as slowly as she could. Then, in a quick move, she opened the door only to the width she needed to pass.

She stepped out into the cold corridors, cursing herself for not putting on her socks before leaving.

Yongsun walked, with the intention of finding Dahee's office. She desperately needed that paracetamol.

However, her feet took her somewhere else.  It happened sometimes. Her mind wandered, so her body did whatever her subconscious saw fitting. And in this case, Yongsun's subconscious took her to a familiar room.

Byulyi's room.

Yong didn't know why she was there, or why she had the urge to knock on the door. Her subconscious seemed to be doing all the work.

On the other side of the room lay a very awake Byulyi. The sedative had worn off, leaving her mind in a lethargic state, but nonetheless awake. Dahee had placed bandages on her hands once again, and she could see that some blood had passed through them. The knock awoke her mind even more. Byulyi prepared herself to reject another mindless request from Dahee. It had been happening more and more over the last few weeks. Byul was sure Dahee wasn't in her right mind, but it was none of her business to ask why. They had had sex once, in a time where Byulyi was vulnerable. One could say Lee Dahee took advantage of her, but Byulyi held no grudge against her. She consented, it happened, there was nothing she could do about it.

And so, when she opened her door, she expected a crying, manipulative Dahee trying to get what she wanted from Byulyi. But, to her surprise, she found none other than Kim Yongsun, looking small in her oversized sweatshirt, hugging herself. There were bags under her eyes, she looked downright miserable.