Sleepover

Byulyi was soft.

Despite her cold demeanour, if you got close to her you'd see her real personality: a dorky, soft friend, who'd go out of her way to protect you and make you happy.

But if you got too close to her, and tried to tear down those invisible walls that surround her, the monster within her would immediately push you away and scratch you with her claws. That was just the way it went.

In the two years she had been here, no one had visited her. Not that there was anyone left to visit her.

She was never one to make friends. She'd try, of course, but people found her intimidating, with her cold stare and scars all over her body. No one in that hospital had ever even tried to be friends with her.

No one except for Wheein.

As soon as she got there, she was greeted by a combusting ball of fluff. Wheein had the talent to mostly see the good in people. Her cold stare didn't intimidate her. The warm emotions under it lured her in.

And so for two years, Wheein was her only friend. There were times where she tried to get too close, and faced the wrath of Byulyi's monster.

But she came back. They all come back, until they stop coming back. Byulyi was just waiting for that day. It was for the best. She couldn't protect her. She couldn't protect herself.

After Wheein, came Hyejin. Wheein had excitedly introduced them, claiming Hyejin was the same age as her.

Byulyi took one look at the tiny, skinny girl and shrugged, shaking her hand back. Another friend to tear her heart to pieces. It's okay, she'd get over it.

But now... Yongsun arrived. And unlike Wheein and Hyejin, she didn't try to be her friend. It was like she was scared of her, in a way. She should be.

When Byulyi laid eyes on Kim Yongsun, she knew. She knew she wouldn't be able to just be her friend. The way she looked at her the previous day in the cafeteria, with her chubby cheeks full of rice cakes, the way she was shy and blushed with every little comment. Even the way she rejected Byul. She felt the need to protect her.

Byulyi couldn't allow it. She couldn't fall in love with her and she couldn't get close to her, because she didn't want to hurt her.

She didn't want to kill her.

She didn't want to kill any of them.

But she did. It was her fault, and only her fault. She lashed out, and because of that, they all died.

"Byulyi?" Yongsun called her, looking at her innocently with her round, brown, eyes. A look that made her just want to tear her own walls down and invite her in. But she couldn't. She wouldn't.

They were in Byulyi's room. Yongsun and Wheein had just arrived for the sleepover, and they were now sitting on her bed, waiting for Hyejin.

"Hmm?" Byulyi answered absentmindedly, her head leaned back on the bed's headboard.

"I asked you what you wanted to do while we waited for Hyejin."

Byul pushed her thoughts to the back of her mind. Raising her head, she saw that Yongsun was looking at her with... was that concern? Pity? Either way, she didn't need it.

Yongsun watched as Byul's previously warm stare froze. She had to admit she was scared whenever Byul had that look in her eyes.

Upon seeing Yongsun's slightly frightened expression, Byulyi softened her gaze. Sighing, she ran a hand through her hair, cursing mentally at her soft spot for the girl she barely knew.