Control

Varian, Eugene, and an unconscious Rapunzel, along with their animal companions, headed back towards the castle. No one spoke. No one dared to speak, so, no one spoke, Until finally, they reached the palace entrance. 

"Ahem... So, uh, Eugene, just bring the princess to my lab, I'll be there in a second." Varian nervously said.

"Oh, ok. Where are you going then?" Eugene asked, worried about Rapunzel.

"I need to go the library real quick and grab something...I'm hoping it has answers." Varian replied, before hurrying off toward the royal library. Eugene stood there for a second, confused, before shrugging and heading towards the young alchemist's lab. 

~~~

About 15 minutes later, Varian came barging into his laboratory. He was out of breath, and carrying his satchel and a large book. He didn't say a thing before throwing the book onto the nearest table and dropping to the ground in exhaustion. 

"Varian?!" Eugene yelped, surprised by the sudden appearance and shortness of breath. "What were you doing, running with that book?" 

"Heh...yeah...heh, I was...heh heh...trying to hurry." Varian said in between breaths. He took a moment longer, then jumped back up, and walked towards the table where he'd thrown the book. "Alright...heh...let's see if this can help much, though I'm not betting anything on it."

The young alchemist then grabbed the book and walked towards where Eugene had set the princess down. He opened up the book, flipping rapidly through the pages, until he got to the one he wanted. Then he sent it back down, this time next to him, and looked at Rapunzel.

"So, do you know what happened?" Eugene asked. He was worried, and not just about Rapunzel anymore, but also about the kid. He was acting...off.

"Well, I don't know for sure...but I think it might have had something to do with me...and my powers..." Varian muttered, getting quieter as he went on. "I didn't mean for this, any of this to happen. I don't even know  what happened! I can't find any evidence that my experiment worked...except for Rapunzel." 

"What do you mean? Experiment? What were you doing?!" Eugene asked, irritated. 

"Well, I wanted to know what I could do...so I spent some time researching, and learning as much as I could about this 'Stardrop' thing, reading books, scrolls, and my mom's journal. Eventually, I was able to translate the incantation, or at least a part of it...and that made me wonder what it would do...and so, I gathered some materials and went out to the field behind Attila's and Monty's sweets shop, you know, that really large field, and set up a work space, and, well experimented...with the powers..." Varian explained, not really stopping for air. "And then I tried to create those rocks, and I tried to make something happen...and I read the incantation out loud..."

"Ok ok, slow down kid. So basically, you were messin' with your powers to try to figure them out? That's all well and good, I understand wanting to know more about them, but why not tell us? Rapunzel and I would have been willing to help, you just needed to ask!" Eugene exclaimed. 

...

"Well, I didn't want to be a bother...you guys had already helped me with them the first time, and finding my dad...and it seemed like you guys were enjoying the day to yourselves...I'm sorry!" Varian said, getting more emotional.

"It's ok kid, don't worry, and don't cry or anything. We'll have to talk more about this and what you found after  we help Rapunzel." Eugene reassured. Yes, he was angry with the kid for messing with a force he didn't understand, but he couldn't blame the kid for wanting to understand himself and what he could do. In all honesty, Varian had only experimented with the powers to understand what they could do and be sure not to hurt anyone on accident, Eugene knew that. So, all he could do is reassure the kid, and be there next time. But for now, he needed to help Rapunzel. They needed to know what happened to her.

~~~

About an hour later, with Varian reading various pages and texts, and trying various chemical compounds meant to help and wake her, with no results. 

"UGH! What is going on here? Why is nothing working? If I could just understand..." Varian snapped, throwing the book he had been scowering for a few minutes onto the ground. 

"Hey hey, calm down kid! Don't get overworked. Just think of it like...a chemistry problem! Or math! Or any of that sciencey-smart stuff! There's a problem, and we need a solution! Trace over what you know, and create a solution!" Eugene said, trying his best to calm Varian down. 

"Right...right...we need a solution...UGH! But I don't understand the problem to begin with! Is it physical, or mental? Was it caused by magic, or by force? I can't create an accurate solution if I don't have accurate data!" Varian said, irritated. He couldn't find a solution without an accurate problem.

"..." Eugene stared. He wanted to say something else, but really didn't know how to help. 

What is the problem? What is the solution? Dammit...I can't help her if I don't know what's wrong! ... Stop it Varian! Think about Rapunzel! She NEEDS us! There's gotta be an answer somewhere, you're just missing it!  Varian thought to himself, pacing around the table with the unconscious princess on it. 

"She was walking...near Attila's...towards it...then the energy pulse happened...aftershock...suddenly collapsed..." Varian muttered.

...

"It had to have been the magical energy pulse. That's the only logical conclusion based of the situational data. If we assume that the energy was the cause, then all I need to do is...what? What do I need to do? Re-create it? Reverse it? Reverse it! Can I do that?..." 

As he spoke, Varian looked over at Rapunzel. He thought for a moment, before deciding to say the incantation again, but this time, the full one. He didn't have much hope that that would do anything, but it was worth a shot. He just had to control it.

Ok Varian, stay in control. I haven't done anything like this before, and I don't know what will happen, but I need to try it, it's the best I've got. Here goes nothing! Please don't like, blow up the room or something! 

"Stars that gleam and glow,

Shining in the night,

Illuminate this path,

And burn forever bright.

Show what lies beneath,

Reveal the endless fright, 

Uncover the hidden anguish, 

and burn, forever bright."

...

Suddenly, the room began to shake, as Varian's hair began to glow. 

"Varian? What'd you do?!" Eugene yelped as a rock shot out from beneath him.

Stay in control, stay in control! Keep it together! This...this is unbelievable! 

Varian closed his eyes, focusing on the bursting power inside him. He needed it to not burst, but to flow, flow through him. He needed to control it. 

"Don't worry Eugene! I can control it! At least, a little! I can, I promise!" 

Then, Varian turned towards the princess once again, slowly lifted his hand, and slowly opened his eyes. He looked at Rapunzel, and placed his hand onto her head, then, began to try to control the flow of his power. From him, to her, he wanted to share it, to feel her own power, and find the source of the problem. 

He didn't know that by solving one problem, he would be creating another.

~~~

Aight! There! Would you look at that, another chapter, without a month in between them! 

Again, sorry it's been so inconsistent! I've had a lot to do xD and I honestly did forget about this, but I'm gonna try to remember. Not making any promises on uploads/releases though, they'll come out when they come out. 

Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed! 

Thanks!