Chapter 35

Maxon and I walked through the doors of my room and we were silent. My shock had worn off and now all that was left was joy? Yes, it was joy. But it was quickly overshadowed by the fact that I had yet to tell my sister that I had found my own mate. I let out a sigh and turned to face Maxon.

"As much as I'd like to continue hanging out with you, I really need to talk to May." He walked up to me and wrapped his arms around me for a hug. I melted into his arms and stayed there for a moment before looking up at him. He pressed a kiss to my lips. Passionate but sweet and quick.

"I understand America," he said as he laid his forehead on mine. "I love you." I felt my heartbeat speed up.

"I love you too Maxon. More than you'll ever know," I replied. He pulled back and grinned. "Well, I wouldn't say ever, we do have a bond." I playfully slapped his shoulder and let out a laugh. He chuckled before asking, "Will I see you at dinner?" I nodded and he pressed a kiss to my cheek and one on my lips gently. He pulled back and walked towards the door. Before he could walk through the doors however, I ran up and tugged his face down to mine for a kiss.

A little tongue had made its way into the kiss but it didn't go further than that. "Bye Maxon," I said. He smiled at me and said, "Goodbye America."

Once he was gone, I waited a few minutes before going to find my parents. They had to know where May was. I entered the hallway and followed the smell of my parents' scents since I didn't actually know where their room was. It took at least two minutes to find their room and once I did, I had stopped at a door that was saturated in their scents. I knocked because no child wanted to risk seeing something by walking into their parent's room without knocking. The door swung open and I saw mom in the doorway.

"America, honey, what are you doing here?" she asked as she ushered me in. I quickly let my eyes look over the room. They had one of the nicer rooms but it felt nothing compared to mine. Maybe because it actually felt like my room. I let that revelation settle because I had more pressing matters. "I was looking for May, have you seen her?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

"She was here earlier." Mom looked around the room and brought me a book. I took a deep breath and realized that May had been holding it since it was covered in her scent. "Why don't you practice your hunting skills?" I looked at her confused.

"How did you find this room silly? I assumed that you followed our scent. This is the same idea but now you're intentionally using an object with the person's smell on it." Oh, that didn't sound too hard. She handed the book to me and I took a deep breathe in through my nose. I looked at mom. "Do I take it with me or just go find her with what I smelled?"

"You should probably take the book with you since you are just starting with this skill." I nodded and thanked her before heading towards the door but I turned around when I realized that I didn't see dad. "Hey mom, where's dad?"

"Oh, he's been out there running since around noon I'd say. He can't get enough of it, he's like a pup again." I grinned at her words. I'm glad my parents got something out of this trip. You do realize that seeing you was the thing your parents got out of this trip? Oh, I guess you're right I responded. "Thanks mom," I said and walked out of the room and shut the door behind me.

I took another deep breath near the book and with May's scent in my nose, I went to find her. My nose led me to the garden doors and I couldn't help but smile. Of course she would be outside. I couldn't wait for the day May shifted. We were already close and her sixteenth birthday would bring us even closer. I walked outside for about three minutes before I saw her lying in the grass in her day dress. She had taken off her flats and seemed to be enjoying the sunshine even though it was almost November.