Chapter 40

I probably should've mentioned this in last week's update but from now on, I'm going to be updating on Fridays. It just fits my schedule better. 

Enjoy... 

---- ---- ---- 

Today was Thursday which meant that today would be the day when the German Federation visited the palace.

Kriss and I had been working nonstop to get our reception together. It almost felt too easy with how quickly we got everything done.

I walked into the Great Room to see maids and butlers work to remove the flowers from the room. I felt my brow furrow as I walked over to Marlee and Elise. They didn't look happy. "Hi Marlee. Hi Elise. What's going on? Why are they removing the flowers?" I asked. Marlee looked at me and tried to give me a smile but failed. It only made my brow furrow more. "Apparently the flowers mean something insulting to the Germans and it seemingly slipped Celeste's mind when doing the flower arrangements. It's too late to have new arrangements made."

I looked over at Celeste and saw her drinking from a champagne flute. I rolled my eyes. She really needed a different coping mechanism than alcohol. "I'm sorry guys. That really isn't fair. I'm sure everything will be fine. The room looks good despite the lack of flowers."

"Thank you America," said Elise. "But I fear that Silvia is going to take away points for this."

"Points?" I asked, confused. She nodded and pointed at Silvia who was inspecting something on one of the tables. She then proceeded to write something on a clipboard she was carrying. I looked back at them with understanding. "We're competing."

They both nodded. "I honestly don't think it matters because I doubt the winners are going to get some amazing prize."

"It's not about that America," Elise said seriously. "We're competing for the queen's approval. One of us is going to be her daughter-in-law, she wants to see who is the best at this. I mean, one day, one of us is going to be in her position." I didn't say anything. I guess in the back of my mind I knew what Elise said was true, I was just worrying about the wrong monarch.

A butler announced the arrival of the German Federation. Both Elise and Marlee straightened themselves up and went in separate directions.

---

I felt bad for Marlee and Elise. I had no doubt that they had worked hard on this reception and I'm sure it was even more annoying that the slip up had been done by Celeste. It didn't help matters that Celeste had gotten drunk. I let out a sigh and as I went to bed, I prayed to the Moon Goddess that everything would go well tomorrow.

---

When I woke up, I could feel butterflies bouncing around in my stomach. I hope today goes well. I think Maxon must have felt my nervousness since he spoke to me through the bond.

"You have nothing to be nervous about darling. You worked hard and I know everything is going to be fine." I let out a sigh and smiled to myself. I can't for the life of me remember why I wanted to be with someone who wasn't my mate. Meeting Maxon was the greatest thing that could've happened to me. "Thank you Maxon. I'll see you at breakfast?"

"Count on it." Nothing else came through the bond. I looked at the time and saw that it was 7:15. I figured I might as well start the day early so I got out of bed and summoned my maids. They must've already been on their way because they came about two minutes later.

"Oh, my lady," said Anne. "We didn't think you'd be up." I shrugged my shoulders. "I woke up and was too nervous to go back to sleep so I got up."

"How about a bath to relax you?" offered Lucy. I smiled and nodded. She smiled back and went to the bathroom to start my bath. Mary went to grab my dress out of the closet. Kriss and I had decided that we would wear dresses that were similar but not matching. Something to let people know that we were the hosts.