Chapter 2

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of my mother's voice. "America, honey, wake up." I groaned and turned over. "Come on America, I need you to sit up." Sighing, I sat up and looked at her. "You have my attention. What's up." She sat at the end of my bed and was quiet for a moment before speaking.

"Your father and I thought it over last night and we decided that you're old enough to start saving your own money." I was dumbfounded. "Are you serious?" I asked excited. She nodded and continued. "Only if you submit the Selection form." This was amazing. She had no idea I had already agreed to it last night and now I was going to get to save my checks from my performances. "I'll do it," I said nodding my head.

"Okay honey, just, don't forget about us," she said smiling sincerely. "I won't" I replied.

After she left, I got ready for the day and went down stairs to have breakfast. I sat down at the table with the application and some toast with jam and filled out the form to the best of my ability. Once I finished eating and filling out the application, I went outside to the backyard to find mom.

"I'm ready to turn it in," I said to her, grabbing her attention. "Alright, we'll go as soon as I'm done here." She was pulling a few weeds that had made its way into the garden. We couldn't have a forest to run around in but a garden was the closest we could a get. A chance to feel dirt under our paws, so to speak.

---

The line to turn in the application could've been a mile line. It seemed like the entire province was here and all the girls were dressed as nicely as they could. Even the lower castes looked alright. Some Twos and Threes had their makeup caked on and it looked really bad. I didn't understand that though. If this was really a lottery, why were they going to take our pictures and ask us how far along we were in our education.

A familiar scent passed by and I saw Aspen's mom and sisters line up behind us. My mom smelt it as well. She turned around and said, "Hey guys, it's been a while."

"It has," responded Aspen's mom. They began talking while I talked with Aspen's sisters. They had recently turned sixteen and therefore recently shifted for the first time. They were excited and over the moon that their wolves were pretty, black fur with a white belly and green eyes. They sounded beautiful. I had personally never seen Aspen's wolf but he had described it to me. He was all black with green eyes and was big, according to him at least. Werewolves were bigger than normal wolves, that was normal, but alphas were bigger than regular werewolves, taller than some humans, and had an aura that commanded your submission and attention. Dad says that, sometimes, descendants of alphas can be bigger than normal. Does that mean Aspen is the descendant of an alpha, I didn't know. I'd have to see it to believe it.

"You know Aspen's been saving up money. I think he's going to propose," said Aspen's mom. This immediately caught my attention but my mom commented. "Really? Do you know who she is?" "No," responded his mom. "But whoever she is, she makes him happy. I can tell and that makes me happy."

By the time we reached the front of the line, I was beaming. Aspen was going to propose to me. I was over the moon. When I went to take my photo, I had the biggest smile ever. The prince may think it was for him, but it was for Aspen. All for him.

Why are you so excited about him proposing? growled Tempest. Because my boyfriend is going to propose to me and hopefully soon. I growled back. He isn't our mate America! Her voice boomed around in my head. I don't care I shouted back. I love him and that's final. Tempest was quiet after that.

---

Several days had passed and now it was Friday and time for the Report.

"Will they announce who got selected tonight?" asked May. "Not tonight. They want to give every girl a chance to submit the form. Maybe next week, honey," responded Mom. We gathered around the T.V. and waited for the country's emblem to appear and Gavril Fadaye voice.