Chapter 52

"Whatever do you mean Marlee?" asked Elise in a tone that implied that she was acting dumb. Celeste sent me a look. It was somewhere between concern and excitement. I didn't know someone could make a face like that but she managed to do it.

"You know damn well what I mean. All three of us have been trying to get you to join us for literally anything and every time, you turn us down. Normally I'd respect people's decisions but it seems like you're doing it on purpose to, what, piss us off? Why do you do that?"

Elise didn't respond, she picked something off of her dress and continued looking out of the window. Marlee took in a deep breath. I had no idea she had some anger in her. So far, I'd seen her happy and sad but not angry. It was almost refreshing.

"Oh, I get it," Marlee said, relaxing her posture. "You know America is going to win so you're blaming her for Maxon's actions and feelings." That got Elise to react.

"You don't know that she's going to win." Before Marlee could respond, Celeste let out a scoff. "Now you're just lying to yourself, it's so obvious that America is going to win," said Celeste.

"Why have you two given up? We still have a chance of winning this competition."

"Because we know when we've been beaten and we're accepting it gracefully. For all your elegance and poise, Elise, it really seems like you're a sore loser," Marlee responded. Celeste had turned back to her magazine but I could feel her smile as she heard what Marlee said. I wasn't going to lie, a part of me was enjoying the confrontation. I could see why people enjoyed gossip and conflict.

"I'm not a sore loser. Nowhere in the rule book does it say I have to be her friend," she said referring to me, "or your friend and I'm not stupid enough to be friends with Celeste." She then looked directly at the she-wolf in question since Celeste had looked up from her magazine at Elise's words. "An apology only works if the recipient accepts it and I didn't accept your apology, not even close. If you had even a speck of honor, you wouldn't have done all those things to me.

"So what if you were being pressured by your parents? That doesn't give you the right to treat the rest of us like dirt. I'm getting pressure from my parents and you don't see me hurting the other competitors. Your apology meant nothing to me." Celeste didn't look like she was going to cry but she definitely didn't look happy and I could tell that Elise's words had affected her.

Before I could say anything Marlee spoke up. "Enough. This isn't about Celeste. This is about the fact that instead of choosing to get close with us you're pushing us away because you blame America for the prince's actions. You must realize that these are our last few weeks here at the palace. After he eliminates one more of us he has to pick from the top three. It could be any day now for one of us and instead of being our friend, you're isolating yourself. Are you trying to punish yourself because you know, deep down, you lost?"

Elise didn't say anything. It was deadly silent in the Women's Room. I wanted to hear her response to Marlee's question but she didn't say anything. She looked like she was about to cry instead. "You have no idea what I'm dealing with," Elise said, her voice shaky. I saw Celeste roll her eyes. "Yes, we do."

"No, you don't," Elise said a little more forceful. "If you lose the Selection, you'd have your parent's disappointment at most. If I lose, I will bring my family shame and dishonor." I had to cut in at that point. "Elise, they'll understand that it wasn't your fault. If they want someone to blame, tell them to blame the prince or hell, even me. You shouldn't have to suffer when the situation was out of your control."

"Besides, most of the girls that were sent home are already married or engaged to be married. You'll have so many boys throwing themselves at you, that your parents won't know what to do. They'll forget the Selection ever happened," added Marlee.