𝘿𝙖𝙧𝙠 𝙈𝙖𝙧𝙠𝙨

December 1, 1994

Night of the First Task

"Albus Dumbledore, I haff to speak viff you on an important matter."

"Of course, Igor. Please come in."

"Thank you." Karkaroff waited until the floo was clear before he stepped through and into the Hogwarts' Headmaster's office. He took a moment to glance around, noting all the curious portraits and the abundance of silver instruments littered all around the room. "You haff a very nice office."

Albus nodded graciously. "Why thank you. Have a seat...Would you like a nightcap?"

Karkaroff accepted the offer of a seat, but declined the alcohol, even though at the moment he felt like he may need some.

Of course, Albus picks up on this instantly. "You look troubled, Igor," he began. "I would think the celebrations on the Durmstrang boat would keep you up all night. I know the Gryffindors will be partying hard." He gave a light chuckle.

"Yes, yes," Karkaroff replied distractedly before taking on a more serious look. "Tell me, you haffen't heard ov Dark activities, haff you? Besides ze Vorld Cup, ov course."

"I see," Albus said, completely dropping his earlier jovial manner. "I sense a building power, but nothing concrete as of yet."

Karkaroff gave a frustrated huff and rubbed his left forearm. "Not even fom Snape?"

Albus frowned. "No, not even from Severus. Why do you ask?"

Karkaroff debated against himself, before finally giving in. After all, Albus Dumbledore was the only man who could help him. "Very vell. I vill show you." With that, he raised his left arm and lifted his sleeve to bear the Mark. "As you can see, it has been getting darker and darker, and dis troubles me greatly."

Albus leaned forward to better examine the Mark. It wasn't completely black yet, which was a good sign, but then again it was rather greyish and raised. The surrounding skin was also red and irritated. Albus lifted up his wand. "May I?" he asked.

Igor Karkaroff waved his hand. "Go ahead."

Albus cast a couple of advanced diagnostic charms. It shouldn't have hurt, but the contact of his Light magic against the Darkness of the Mark made the snake tattoo writhe, and Karkaroff had to bite off a hiss of pain. "When did it begin to change?" Albus asked, leaning back in his chair with a renewed troubled look.

"Middle of Summer," Karkaroff answered. "Has Snape told you vat happened at the Vorld Cup?"

Again Albus shook his head. "He transported a student away just as the attack began, and so missed most of the riot. He only came back to help with the recovery efforts."

Karkaroff twirled his beard thoughtfully. "I vas there for Victor, ov course. About twenty minutes into ze riot, I felt ze most 'orrible pain...vorse dan ze Cruciatus stab into my Mark and deep into my heart. I thought I vas going to die!"

"And that was the reason why the Death Eaters retreated all of the sudden?" Albus asked.

"I believe so, yes," Karkaroff nodded. "Perhaps your Snape did not feel ze pain because he vas not there."

"Well, let us ask him just to make sure," Albus said, rising from his seat and headed for the floo.

<:::::::::::::::::}]xxxxxO * Oxxxxx[{::::::::::::::::>

The Hogwarts' house-elves certainly went all out for the Gryffindors tonight. Soon after Aster won the Task, she was instantly swallowed up by her House-mates, all trying to congratulate her at the same time. The Twins even hefted her up onto their shoulders and marched her right into Hogwarts and back into their Tower. Since this effectively got her away from Rita Skeeter, who she noticed was laying in wait for her, she was all for it.