𝙈𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝘾𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙨𝙚𝙨

September 4, 1993

Aster's first lesson in Healing with Madam Pomfrey had merely been a two-hour lecture on the human body and how the magical core interacted with the nervous system. Even with this small introduction to medi-magic, Aster could already tell that this area of study was as easily as complex as transfiguration or potions. In addition to that, you had the burden of knowing you held someone's life in your hands. It was a heady thought, and the young girl was both enthusiastic and frightened at the prospect of trying to learn it.

Now heading for the infirmary for the second lesson, she hoped to be able to do some practical work. But as soon as she got there, Madam Pomfrey stopped her. "Professor Snape has asked to see you," she said.

The green-eyed girl gave the matron a questioning look. Was it something to do with the discussion she and the potions master had shared during last night's detention? If so, why not wait until after class to speak with her?

Reading the look of confusion and apprehension on Aster's face, Madam Pomfrey tried to sound reassuring. "It's just something about your class schedule. I'm sure it is nothing serious."

With a weak excuse like that, it was practically a guarantee that he wanted to talk about the previous evening. "Alright then, I guess I'll just go see what he wants then."

"Yes, better not keep him waiting." Madam Pomfrey quickly scribbled on a sheet of paper. "Here is a note, so you don't get caught out of class."

"Thanks." And with that, Aster spun around and headed for the dungeons. Guessing Snape had a free period because he wouldn't have called a student down for a private meeting otherwise, she knocked on his office door instead.

"Enter."

"You wanted to see me, Professor?" she asked, peeking her head in.

Snape waved her in. "Yes, come in and close the door behind you. There is a matter I wish to speak with you."

Aster nodded and did as she was told, feeling several privacy charms activate as she did. "This isn't about my class schedule, is it?"

"Actually, it is," Snape admitted, which got him a surprised look.

"I thought that was just an excuse."

"I do not need to make up excuses to call students to my office, Miss Potter," Snape replied, sounding offended. "But that is beside the point. Let me ask you, when you first arrived at Hogwarts, what did Madam Pomfrey tell you about your exam?"

Aster blinked, staring at him blankly. "Exam, sir?"

Snape nodded as if he already knew and just wanted to confirm a guess. "And what if, anything, did Madam Pomfrey say to you after you were admitted under her care for the first time?"

Aster had no idea where this was going but decided to play along. She cast her memory back to the first time she got hurt enough to go to the infirmary. "I don't think I made it into the infirmary until the end of the year, for the thing with the Philosopher's Stone. I don't recall her telling me anything, now that I think about it. Is that odd?"

"Yes that is odd, but allow me to ask one last question before I explain," Snape continued. "Were you ever taken to a muggle hospital for treatment?"

"Only for vaccination shots because they were needed for school," Aster answered, her voice growing quiet. "Anything that couldn't be dealt with at home, my magic had healed for me."

"Just as I thought, though I had hoped it wasn't true," Snape said. "After your first class of healing lessons, don't you think it odd that Madam Pomfrey didn't pick up on the fact that you had broken bones? That you are small for your age? It is standard for children who were muggle raised to get a comprehensive exam, to check for things like allergies, childhood illnesses, and the like."